Today I’m sharing 15 bug and butterfly crafts for kids! We have art ideas, nature crafts, cute and colourful crafts and more to inspire you to get busy creating with the kids.
There are no shortage of creepy-crawly bug and butterfly critters where we live, and while I admire the beauty and symmetry of butterflies I confess I have a love/hate relationship with bugs. I find them super interesting and fascinating to examine up close, however the way they crawl and fly around can make me freak out (on the odd occasion only, hah!). My kids have always been curious about these little creatures, and I’m convinced that the more we observe and learn about mini beasts the less we will be afraid of them.
If we find an unusual-looking insect in our house or garden I encourage my girls to catch it in their bug catcher to look at and learn about. Occasionally we set up an insect habitat and and observe the bug for a few days before releasing it back into the garden. We research the insect to uncover some interesting facts about it and sometimes design a creative project based on it.
I’m hoping that taking steps like these to appreciate and admire the beauty and complexity of nature will help my girls to grow into the type of adults who DON’T freak out at the sight of a bug, and who can calmly catch a spider or grasshopper in a container and gently place it outside.
Bugs and butterflies are also one of our favourite themes to craft on, we have made quite a few over the years!
15 Bug and butterfly crafts for kids
Cute bug craft ideas
• Make a paper roll love bug – so cute and fun for all ages!
• Use walnut shell halves to create some adorable painted walnut bugs
• This paper roll grasshopper is based on our observations of a real grasshopper we found in the house
Colourful bug and butterfly ideas
Sweet butterfly craft ideas
• This is an easy DIY butterfly barbie costume kids can make for their barbie dolls – includes printable template for the wings
• Contributor Shannon from Oh Creative Day has made these unique paper plate butterflies
• These woven craft stick butterflies are one of our most popular crafts
Butterfly Nature Ideas
• Create a DIY nature craft construction kit using items collected from nature. Bugs and butterflies are only a few of the things you could make!
• Create garden art using leaves, petals, sticks and flowers collected from your garden. Arrange in shapes and patterns, like the pretty butterfly we have made.
• Use paint or nail varnish to create pebble bugs from small rocks
Bug and butterfly art ideas
What’s your favourite bug? Let us know in the comments and we’ll put it on our future craft list!
You might also like:
You’ll find loads more fun ideas on our animal crafts board on Pinterest