I’m excited to share this easy 3D cube craft for kids—make a set of garden bugs using our printable templates.
Not only are the bugs adorable as a Spring or Summer craft, they are also perfect for kids who are learning about 3D shapes.
There is a bee, a ladybug, a green bug, and an orange stripy beetle to make. All templates come in both full colour and a colour-your-own version.
Each morning before school my girls race to get ready so that they can fit in some screen time before they have to leave. It was as I was brushing hair, looking over my daughter’s shoulder, that I first laid eyes on the world’s cutest square bee.
You might be familiar with the game–Bee Swarm Simulator on Roblox. Every time I see these square bees I can’t help thinking how easy they would be to make from paper, so you could say our printable cube bee is Roblox-inspired.
But why stop at bees? I designed a full set of garden insects to keep him company.
The green bug was modeled on the stink bug and the orange one on a striped beetle. The ladybug needs no explanation.
I’ve created our example bugs from card stock for sturdiness, however, paper will also work and is easier and lighter for little hands to fold.
If using card stock, it’s recommended to score each fold line with the back of a blunt butter knife or a paper scoring tool if you have one. You do this by placing a ruler along the fold line and creating an indent along the line with your knife. This results in crisp, clean, accurate folds.
How to make a cube bug
You will need:
- The printable template, also available from our TPT store
- Card stock or paper if preferred
- Glue stick
1) Print the templates onto white card stock or paper
2) Cut them out
3) If using card stock, score the fold lines with a blunt butter knife and ruler
4) Fold and glue cube together
5) Glue on legs or wings and antennae
Isn’t he cute?
The cube bugs love to be stacked.
More printable craft ideas for kids:
- Make times table practice more relaxing with our times table colouring mandalas
- Learn about some of the world’s amazing marine animals as you make them with our paper plate ocean animal ebook
- Make a bouncy frog on a lily pad
- This printable is also included in our Printable Spring Crafts value pack