Create a heart shaped cardboard necklace with textured patterns on each bead. This is a fun recycling craft, perfect for Valentines day (but let’s face it, hearts look fabulous all year round!).
You might also like our pebble love bugs
Who doesn’t love a good recycling craft? Cardboard really is one of my favourite crafting materials, it’s free and there are just so many things you can make from it (check out these 50 cardboard toy ideas for more inspiration)
This cardboard Valentines day necklace craft is a fun craft idea for older kids and tweens, incorporating the hot glue gun to make a textured pattern on each bead. If you’re crafting with younger kids I’d omit the glue gun step and make patterns using permanent markers or paints instead because the glue gun part is a bit fiddly and tricky.
The finished cardboard necklace would make a cute handmade gift idea and also is fun to make and keep for yourself.
How to make a heart shaped cardboard necklace
You will need:
- Scrap cardboard
- Hot glue gun
- Paint (I’ve used acrylic)
- Bamboo skewers
- Needle and thread (and a needle threader if you have one)
- A button
1) Cut out a small heart shape from light card stock (or a piece of cereal box).
2) Use the heart as a template to trace more hearts onto your scrap cardboard, I’ve traced five hearts but you can make as many as you like.
3) Cut the heart shapes out.
4) Poke a skewer into each heart so you have something to hold onto when using the hot glue gun and don’t burn your fingers.
5) Use the hot glue gun to create patterns on the hearts.
6) Once the hot glue is dry (it won’t take long), paint the hearts on both sides. Keep the skewer in whilst painting them, it will make it easier to hold them and not get paint all over your fingers. Place the painted hearts in a glass jar or cup on their bamboo skewers to dry.
8) Once dry, use a needle and some embroidery thread to sew them into a strand to create your necklace.
9) Tie a loop in one end of the string, and thread a button onto the other end to make a clasp for tying your necklace around your neck.
So cute! Will your cardboard necklace be a gift or your own personal fashion statement?
More Valentines day craft ideas for kids
Make the sweetest paper roll love bugs
Make some 3D paper heart people with this printable template
This hand-sewn heart decoration is so pretty
Sew a gorgeous sweetheart bookmark from felt (free printable template included)
How adorable are these cork lovebirds?