This post is sponsored by Universal Pictures Home Entertainment.
One of our favourite family movies, SING is now in stores on DVD and Blu-Ray. To celebrate I’m sharing a free printable set of SING-themed charades cards that go perfectly with a family-movie night!
As a family we put on a ‘Movie Night’ every Sunday evening. It really is one of the highlights of the week for all of us.
The only problem is that it can be tricky to find something to suit everybody’s taste in a family of four. Even though I have two girls close in age they don’t always like the same thing, and my husband is an action movie fan from way back. I like dramas or documentaries (really), and the girls like cartoons or family movies so long as they are not too scary – even some kids movies have given them nightmares for weeks.
One thing we all enjoy is a good comedy, so SING (by Illumination, the creators of Despicable Me) definitely fits the bill for one of our Movie Night movies. We saw it at the cinema during the Christmas holidays and now that it’s been released onto DVD and Blu-Ray we’re more than happy to watch it again on movie night – and again and again after that!
About the movie:
SING is a wonderful, funny, heartwarming film with great music and a fantastic cast. The underlying message it sends is that there is a star hidden in all of us – we just need the courage to make it shine!
The movie is packed with characters who are relatable (if a little exaggerated) and who come from all different backgrounds and walks of life. Personally I love Rosita best (Reese Witherspoon) because she’s an overworked and under appreciated mother like me – only with a few more children than I have, haha.
Miss K has a real soft spot for koalas so her favourite character is Buster Moon (Matthew McConaughey). Don’t you just love that name? He’s an eternally optimistic koala who puts on the world’s greatest singing competition to save his crumbling theatre.
Miss R loves Ash (Scarlett Johansen), a punk rock porcupine with a beautiful voice behind her prickly exterior. My action-flick loving husband likes Johnny (Tarn Egerton), a young gangster gorilla looking to break free of his family’s felonies.
As fabulous as they are, all of the previously mentioned characters are eclipsed by the Sweedish disco-dancing pig in gold, Gunter. We all love Gunter!
Of course, any stellar movie needs a soundtrack to match and there is no exception here. We found ourselves bopping along to all of the songs featured, many of them well-known favourites. A particular highlight for the girls’ was the Bunnies singing ‘Oh My Gosh’. We’ve seen many re-enactments of that movie-moment at our house.
SING is a Golden Globe nominee for Best Animated Feature and Best Original Song, featuring more than 65 hit songs including ‘Faith,’ a brand-new song by the legendary Stevie Wonder (featuring Ariana Grande), marking his first song for a major film release in 25 years.
Free Printable Charades Game
I love playing charades with my kids. It’s a simple game which is hilarious both to watch and participate in. You’ll get some big belly-laughs happening with this printable, trust me!
Our SING-inspired version of charades includes five categories which have been colour-coded. Each category features it’s own symbol to remind players to pantomime a category clue before beginning. The five categories are:
Movie Character – Green – Cartoon of the character
Movie Song – also Green – musical note
Action – Yellow – ‘action’ clapper board
Place – Blue – location pinpoint
Animal – Red – cat face silhouette
To play you need to print out this set of SING Charades Cards and cut them out.
How to play Charades:
- Shuffle the cards and place in a pile face down
- Player one draws a card from the pile and reads what’s written on the card secretly to themselves (note – for kids who can’t read yet somebody will need to read the card quietly to them but they are not allowed to participate in guessing)
- Start the one-minute timer
- The player who has drawn the card needs to pantomime what is written on the card without using any words or sounds
- The other players have one minute to guess what the player is attempting
to act out
- The player who guesses correctly receives a point. If nobody guesses the answer the actor receives a point
- The person with the most points wins
Clues you can give:
Note: I’ve tried to keep the clues similar to traditional charades but since we’ve added extra categories I’ve had to invent some new ones. You can use our clues or make up your own, but they do make it easier to play so it’s a good idea to include them.
- character – draw a letter ‘C’ in the air
- action – mimic using a clapper board (like the ones used in the movies when they say “Action!” whilst filming)
- animal – make a pair of cat’s ears on top of your head with your fingers
- place – make a circle in the air with your hands and then point to it as if making a dot on a map
- song – open your mouth as if singing whilst flourishing your hand in front of your mouth to look like sound
- Show how many words are in the answer by holding up the corresponding number of fingers
- Indicate something the word rhymes with by tugging on an earlobe (this means “Sounds like”)
Then just sit back and have fun.
Now it’s movie time! Enjoy.
You might also like:
• Make a DIY solar oven from a cardboard box
• Create a balloon-powered sponge boat for learning and play
• Make some gorgeous craft stick woven butterflies
Oh my gosh, my daughter saw this with her aunty and LOVED it so much. I am excited to see it myself. These cards look great.
You’ll love it!
Such a fun idea and a really great movie!
It’s a classic!
My kids LOVED this movie at the cinema. It’s definitely one that we’d love to own on DVD. Some movies just deserve to be watched over and over (and over and over!)
I know! We’ve done Frozen to death, now it’s time for a new favourite
These look like so much fun!
It’s hilarious to play
trixi symonds says
We love movie nights too! Haven’t seen the move yet but can’t wait to see it now 🙂 Love your game idea.
It’s a fab movie 🙂
Oh, I saw the shorts for this movie – it looks adorable! I reckon my kids would love the charade cards too – we love family games like this! (Yes, my Friday and Saturday nights are very different from what they used to be, lol).
All the cool families play charades now Danya! Lol
Simon Mayers says
I haven’t watched this movie, but through your reviewing, I feel it seems interesting. I will try to watch it.
dino run says
I haven’t seen this movie yet but go to read the review! I think it’s worth watching! I will watch it! thanks
It’s still one of my favourite kids movies 🙂