We tried filling our shakers with different things to experiment with different sounds. What nose does coffee beans make, compared with rice, compared with dried lentils?
How to make a shaker
You will need
- Toilet rolls (1 per shaker). Paint them beforehand for coloured shakers.
- Duct or electrical tape (the thin kind)
- Milk bottle caps (2 per shaker)
- Sharpie markers
- Dried beans, rice, coffee beans or similar to make the shaking sound
- Paints if desired, although they aren’t really necessary
Stick a milk bottle cap on to the end of a toilet roll with electrical (or duct) tape.
Fill your toilet roll with the dried beans (we used coffee beans and rice in ours).
Tape another lid on to the other end of the toilet roll enclosing the beans. Make patterns by adding extra stripes of tape in another colour..
Finish it off by decorating in between the tape gaps with a black marker.
The kids can help out with these and make their own patterns.
You’re done! now all you need to do is ….
Shake & dance!
More DIY musical instruments kids can make
How many instruments can you make from a paper cup?
These jingly ribbon dancers are so quick and easy to make!