Here is an easy 3D cube craft for kids – make a set of square-shaped bugs using our template.
Not only are the bugs adorable, they make a fun STEM craft also which is perfect for kids who are learning about 3D shapes. Plus, the cutting folding and gluing is great fine motor practice.
This is basically a 3D cube template that has been decorated to look like 4 different bugs. There is a bee, a ladybug, a green bug, and an orange stripy beetle to make – which of course can be made any colour you like if you use the black and white colour-your-own version.
Every morning my kids race to get ready for school, brush their teeth, make their beds and pack their bags so that they can have some screen time before they have to leave.
One of their favourite games to play involves a swarm of cute square bees buzzing around gathering honey. You might be familiar with it – Bee Swarm Simulator on Roblox.
Every time I see these square bees I can’t help thinking how easy they would be to make from paper, and so you could say our printable cube bee is Roblox-inspired.
But why stop at just a bee? I designed a few more cube insects to keep him company.
The green garden bug was modeled on the stink bug (as much as you can make a flat round bug look square), and the orange stripy bug on a striped beetle. The ladybug needs no explanation.
I’ve created our example bugs from card stock for sturdiness, however paper will also work and is easier and lighter for little hands to fold.
If using card stock, it’s recommended to score each fold line with the back of a blunt butter knife or a paper scoring tool if you have one. You do this by placing a ruler along the fold line and creating an indent along the line with your knife. This results in crisp, clean, accurate folds.
How to make a cube bug
You will need:
- The printable template, also available from our TPT store
- Card stock or paper if preferred
- Glue stick
1) Print the templates onto white card stock or paper
2) Cut them out
3) If using card stock, score the fold lines with a blunt butter knife and ruler
4) Fold and glue cube together
5) Glue on legs or wings and antennae
Isn’t he cute?
The cube bugs love to be stacked.
More printable craft ideas for kids:
- Make times table practice more relaxing with our times table colouring mandalas
- Learn about some of the world’s amazing marine animals as you make them with our paper plate ocean animal ebook
- Make a bouncy frog on a lily pad
- This printable is also included in our Printable Spring Crafts value pack