Move over black cats—the black and white cats have arrived!
You can make a black and white cat craft using paper plates and a few basic supplies. It’s a fun and easy craft idea for kids who love cats — or for Halloween.
Want to know a secret? These black and white cats were supposed to be ordinary black cats. They were supposed to be a fun, last-minute, Halloween craft idea.
But sometimes when you’re crafting the project takes on a life of its own. In the true spirit of cats, these felines frowned upon my plan and decided to do their own thing. They wanted spots, stripes, and tinkling gold bells.
They’ll never make a decent witch’s cat now—but they don’t care. They’d rather lick their fur and sleep on the sofa anyway.
Are you ready to make a black and white cat? Here’s how …
How to make a black and white cat craft
You will need
- Paper plates in side plate size (2 per cat)
- Black and white acrylic paint
- Construction paper scraps (we’ve used card stock)
- Large printable googly eyes (or draw your own with a black marker)
- Christmas bells – optional (we’ve used large ones but small ones would work too)
- Hole punch
- Paint brushes, one thick and one fine for details
Fold one of the paper plates in half. Unfold and sketch two ears against the fold. In between the ears, along the curve of the plate, sketch a tail. Cut the shapes out.
Cut the shapes out and paint them black. Allow to dry.
Use white paint to draw a nose and mouth, ears, and legs and paws. Leave a space for the paper eyes.
Now it’s time to get creative and paint some patterns. You can use a cotton ball to dab some textured white fur on, or simply add stripes and spots with your brush.
Once the white paint has dried, it’s time to make the collar and bell. Use a rectangular scrap of card stock, ours is approximately 8x7cm in length, but this doesn’t need to be exact.
Hold the edge of your cat’s head over the construction paper and trace a curved edge to parallel the shape of the head. Cut along the line.
Punch a hole in it and tie the bell on if you are adding a bell. Glue this piece of card to the back of the head using craft glue.
Now staple the head to the body and the tail to the bottom corner.
Choose a set of googly eyes from our free printable, and glue them in place. Or if you prefer sketch your own eyes on a scrap of white paper using black marker.
What I love about this craft is how unique each cat is.
Why should black cats get all the fun? Go on, make a black and white one!
More fun pet crafts for kids:
- Make a set of mama and baby guinea pigs using our free printable template
- Upcycle an egg carton into a goldfish
- Balloons make the best puppies! Take them for a walk around the house
- Ever had a pet snake? Make a realistic-looking python using our printable template