Make a cute black cat craft from a paper roll. This is a fun and easy Halloween craft for kids and includes a printable template for the cat shape.
I’ve never really understood why black cats are associated with all things scary on Halloween – they are so cute! My two girls have always loved dressing up as black cats at this time of year, although they are getting bigger now. Once we even made Miss K an adorable black cat costume from an egg carton.
Today’s black cat craft is more of a decoration or DIY toy, made from a paper roll (one of my favourite crafting materials).
Once you get started it’s pretty hard to stop at one black cat, I made three of them! Their names are Onyx, Midnight and Liquorice.
Liquorice (the one with the pink nose on the far right below) has always wanted to be a Witch’s cat, in fact it’s been her life’s dream. Unfortunately, because she has one white paw and a white tip on the end of her tail no witches will have her. The poor thing has to make do living life as a house cat. At least she gets her ears scratched daily though.
Incidentally she is the closest thing my girls will get to a real pet cat, since I am allergic to them!
Want to make one? Watch this short video tutorial or scroll down for the step by step instructions.
How to make a paper roll black cat craft
You will need:
- Print out the template and cut the shape outline out
- Flatten your paper roll
- Trace around the shape outline, then cut out while the roll is still folded flat
- Pop the shape back into it’s rounded shape and fold down the head to make a cat
- Paint your cat black and allow to dry
- Use gel pens to draw two yellow eyes and other facial details. For the pupils on the eyes of my cat I used a brush marker for a smoother texture.
Halloween crafting is so much fun don’t you think?
Here are some more easy Halloween crafts you might enjoy
• If you enjoy crafting with paper then you’ll love these 8 Halloween paper crafts
• Kids will have a blast making a ghost pom pom popper
• These pom pom spiders are so fluffy!
• Use the pom pom trimmings from your spiders to create decorative fluffy yarn monsters
• Here is a spooky twist on the classic yarn doll craft
• Use tie-dyed paper towel to create bright and colourful Halloween sun catchers