Make a fun bubbling brew for pretend play! This simple activity kept my preschooler busy for a LONG time.
This bubbling brew is a bit of science and a bit of pretend play rolled in to one. It came about because I had been wanting to do a baking soda fizzy activity with Miss K for a while now and I also remembered reading about this Wizard’s Brew Sensory Play activity on One Perfect Day last year. This gave me the idea of creating a bubbling brew for Miss K to have some fun with, and have fun with it she did!
It’s very easy to create your own Bubbling Brew at home, this is how…
How to make bubbling brew for pretend play
You will need:
• 2L bottle of white cleaning vinegar (or the cheapest vinegar you can buy)
• Baking Soda (we used about half of a 500g box)
• Food colouring or liquid water colours (food colouring stains hands and clothes so liquid watercolours are a better choice)
• Plastic creepy crawlies and snakes
• Props from the kitchen: A large pot, a wooden spoon, a table spoon, bowls and a measuring jug
To make the bubbling brew first pour 4 cups of water into the large pot, and stir in 3 heaped tablespoons of baking soda. Then add a few drops of food colouring and the plastic creepy crawlies.
Give it all a stir and then add vinegar. Miss K poured the vinegar into the measuring cup herself and then poured it all into the brew.
We had some awesome fizzing reactions!
You can keep adding tablespoons of baking soda and cups of vinegar as much as you like. Miss K used up all of the 2L bottle of vinegar and also finished off the box of baking soda which was about half full to begin with. I’m sure she would have kept going much longer if she could have!
Once the supplies were all gone she made a great game of serving the “poison stew”, as she called it, into plastic bowls for pretend dinners. This kept her busy for a good half hour after our activity was over – she really didn’t want me to pack it away.
You might also like:
• Our printable Halloween paper craft bundle for kids
• Scary spider-on-a-stick puppets from egg cartons
• Halloween salt dough ornaments
• Kids will love making a witch’s potion with all sorts of ingredients!
• Make a pom pom spider – so so cute and fluffy!