Sometimes the simplest craft ideas are real winners. My kids love to make these cereal box bookmarks because they can be as creative as they like and I love them because they are easy to set up, require few materials and make a useful end product. They are actually great as page markers for larger picture books (like volumes of bedtime stories or fairy tales) because they are nice and big, plus they make lovely handmade gifts.
You will need
• Cereal boxes
• A hole punch
• Ribbon, wool or similar to decorate the top
The side panels of the cereal box are pretty much ready-made bookmarks. Cut the whole panel out, keeping the top flap attached. This you can cut into a fringe.
Then all you need to do is paint and decorate. You can paint both sides, letting the first one dry and painting the back later, or just one.
These bookmarks were given to the girls’ teachers last year as end of year gifts along with a book, and of course we made some for ourselves to use too.
More recycling craft ideas
• Make a fun egg carton train
• Make a mini banjo from old jar lids and loom bands
• Recycle plastic lids into a sparkly suncatcher mobile
• Upcycle old yoghurt pots into plastic tub tortises
• Make cute little dinosaurs from toilet rolls
• Make an egg carton firetruck
• Design your own board game from a cereal box
• Create a fun whirlygig using a piece of recycled card and our printable patterns
For even more ideas try visiting my Recycle and Repurpose board on Pinterest.