Here’s a super fun 3D Christmas tree doodle art project. This is a great way to decorate for the holidays and it’s suitable for a broad range of ages (7 and up).
Doodle art takes time and a steady hand so younger kids may not have the patience to complete the activity.
The finished Christmas tree artwork ‘pops’ out from the page, giving it a cool 3D effect and it looks awesome hanging on the wall.
I love the creative license kids have with this project. Each tree is unique with a pattern of their own design, and you can go full-colour OR single-colour marker on a brightly coloured background. Both work well.
We’ve glued our trees to black cardstock to really make the colours ‘pop’, but feel free to glue them to any background of your choice.
Here’s how to make a doodle tree artwork at home …
How to make a 3D Christmas tree doodle art project
You will need:
- Card stock in white or bright colours depending on which option you are going with
- Coloured markers or permanent sharpie markers
- Black card stock for the background (or your choice of colour)
- Glue stick
- The Christmas tree template, also available in our TPT store
Print the template out onto card stock.
Decorate the trees with a freestyle doodle pattern. Colour the star and tree trunk.
Score the fold lines with either a blunt butter knife and ruler or a scoring tool. This step is optional, but it does give crisp, clean fold lines and make step 5 easier.
Cut the trees, star and trunk out.
Fold the trees in half and glue them in a stack of three.
Glue onto your background card stock with the star on top and the trunk underneath.
Don’t you just love doodle art?
More seasonal art ideas for kids
- This Christmas handprint art comes in a reindeer, peace dove and angel design and looks beautiful against a wintry process-art background
- Use sponge shapes to create a colourful winter landscape
- Make a winter snowman scene against a fingerprint snow background
- This 3D snowman art is so easy and looks effective once done
- We also have a 3D polar bear portrait kids will love to make