Here’s a simple cupcake liner craft idea – a flower garland that makes a lovely decorative idea for Summer or Spring.
We had these in my daughters’ bedroom for a while and she loved to sit in her bean bag chair underneath it reading.
We often have an oversupply of cupcake liners in our house (called patty pans here in Australia). I confess I plan on baking the way more cupcakes with the girls than I ever get around to.
Not to worry, cupcake liners make a perfect craft material. Use them as part of a kids’ DIY construction set, as skirts on paper dolls, as part of a sweet flower gift bag or, as we have here, to create a gorgeous paper flower garland.
Whilst this flower garland is very simple to make it can be a work of patience as well with quite a lot of cutting out and assembling to be done (read – possibly not the best craft for the under 5’s).
It would make a great collaborative craft project where a group of people make different flowers and you then put them all together to create a single long garland, e.g in the classroom.
How to make a cupcake liner flower garland
You will need
- Get at least 3 cupcake cases in the colours you would like for your flower.
- Fold patty pan in half, then in half again, again and again.
- Trim the edge so it’s a rounded shape.
- Unfold into a flower.
- Make two more flowers consecutively smaller than the first.
- Stick them together with double sided tape and put a spot in the middle.
Cut the patty pan into the following shapes to get different styles of petals, or make up your own shape – anything goes.
To make the leaves I cut the green shape above in half, and then stuck doubled over around the string.
You can use the flowers for anything. Flower crowns, necklaces or cards to name a few but I decided to make a garland by attaching the finished flowers to a piece of jute string with a small piece of duct tape.
Really, they are soooo easy to make! We think they look lovely hanging in the kids play room (don’t judge the furniture styling!)
More Spring-themed crafts:
• Make a woven craft stick butterfly using a Gods Eye technique
• Make some paper daffodils using our free printable template
• These flower rocks look so bright and colourful!
• Here are 50 fabulous flower art and craft ideas from around the web