Make some fun Easter themed scratch art! This is a great creative process for kids to learn and is appealing to all age groups from about 6 and up.
Younger kids can do it too but they’ll need help creating the scratch art templates because they probably won’t have the fine motor skills and patience you need.
We’ve included a set of blank Easter Egg templates to make the scratch art egg bases. Once they’re done kids can create and doodle in their own patterns and designs.
This activity was first published in 2014 and has been updated and re-shared for today’s audience
You might also like our printable bunny baskets
Are you familiar with the scratch art kits you can buy in shops? They are actually very easy to make yourself at home, all you need is a little bit of patience.
I remember using this art technique from back when I was at school and thinking it was the absolute coolest thing ever. They didn’t sell the special kits then so you had to do it all yourself!
Our version has an Easter spin on it, with the scratch art base being made in the shape of an egg but of course you could make your scratch art any shape you like at any time of year. Older kids with more patience and fine motor skills could definitely do this themselves, but when we made these my kids were only 4 and 5 so I made the bases up for them, and they had great fun scratching their designs on to the eggs.
How to make Easter Scratch Art
You will need:
- The printable egg templates.
- Paint in a contrasting colour to your crayons, black works best but you can use other colours too
- A toothpick to scratch the picture or pattern in
- Colour in the egg templates in heavy, solid colour. Make sure you leave no gaps. Any colours you like!
- Paint over the crayons in a solid colour of paint. Let it dry.
- Use a toothpick to scratch a pattern or picture into the paint, revealing the crayon colour you have put underneath. My kids did the scratching part and I created the base for them to work on. They LOVED this art activity and are very proud of the results.
Egg scratch art by miss 4
Egg scratch art by miss 5
More creative Easter ideas for kids
- These potato stamp Easter Chicks are so fun and easy for all ages
- Make a paper plate bunny with our printable template
- These paper cup Easter Hats are soooo adorable – chick and bunny designs included
- Use our free template to make a paper bunny basket
- Remember washcloth bunnies? They’re a fun and easy handmade Easter gift idea
Vanessa @Pre-K Pages says
I remember scratch art being very popular when I was in school 🙂 Very clever idea, thanks for sharing!
I remember doing this as a kid! And my kids loved the kit their grandmother go them so we really must have a go at this!
What kind of paint should be used?
I used regular kids poster paint