Make an easy paper plate bird craft!
This is a fun craft for pre schoolers and older kids alike, and makes a great decoration for Spring or Easter. Hang the finished paper plate bird on the wall using a bit of blu-tack.
This kids craft idea was first published in 2013 and has been updated and reshared for today’s audience
I adore looking back though our craft archives and finding things we made when the girls were little.
How cute are these paper plate birds? Especially the kid-made versions.
This craft was made during our very first year of blogging, back when we had no fancy photography or lighting set-ups and just took a few happy snaps as we went. So, forgive the average process photos.
The bird craft itself is very easy. You can go wild with the decorating, using whatever you have in the cupboard. We’ve gone for feathers but you could use glitter, stickers, plastic jewels, pom poms, paint stamping techniques or whatever else you can dream up.
How to make a paper plate bird craft
You will need:
- 2 paper plates per bird (we used side plate size, but larger plates will also work)
- Paint Brushes
- Glue (tacky craft glue works well for gluing on all sorts of things)
- Split pin joiners (brad clips) or a stapler
- Googly eyes — or use our free printable paper eyes for a more eco-friendly version
- Feathers (optional)
- Anything else you want to decorate your bird with
- Cut one paper plate into quarters and put 2 quarters aside for the wings. Double the second 2 quarters on top of each other, sketch a simple chicken foot and cut it out, thus getting 2 feet exactly the same. With the left over scrap cut a beak by folding in half and snipping a triangle out of the fold.
- Paint a whole paper plate & 2 quarters for the wings. Paint the beak & feet a different colour.
- Once dry, use the split pins to attach the wings and feet, or just use a stapler.
- Glue on the beak, eyes and attach some feathers to the back of the head & wings with sticky tape. Or decorate the chick freestyle however you like, like my kids did!
Awww, aren’t kid-made crafts the cutest?
More bird craft ideas for kids
- Create some simple craft stick bird puppets with tissue paper wings
- These paper chicks in a newspaper nest are so sweet!
- Kids will love turning rocks into adorable rock chicks
- Turn a cereal box into a recycled chick Easter basket
- I just love these colourful Arty Bird Puppets guest posted for us by Oh Creative Day
Leave a Reply