It’s SO EASY to make these cute peg dragonflies (or clothespin dragonflies as our American friends would say).
Sometimes the simplest crafts are the best. You only need a few materials for this one along with our printable template to create the wings, and it’s very quick to make too. Older kids will love designing patterns for the tail of their dragonflies, but they are also easy enough for little kids to make without losing focus and attention.
The finished peg dragonflies make sweet DIY toys for imaginary play, or alternatively you could glue magnets on the back of them and use them as decorations on your fridge.
How to make Peg Dragonflies:
You will need:
- Wooden pegs (clothespins)
- Sharpie markers to decorate (plus I have also used an optional white ballpoint pen)
- Googly eyes — or use our free printable paper eyes for a more eco-friendly version
- Tacky craft glue
- Coloured card stock (paper will also work but card stock is better)
- This printable dragon fly wing template
- Decorate your peg with sharpie markers. I’ve done striped tails on my dragonflies but anything goes.
- Fold the wing template along the dotted line and cut out a set of wings.
- Glue the wings and google eyes in place and allow to dry.
All done! But one little dragonfly will surely feel lonely without a few friends so you had better make some more.
My girls loved these little guys, but they big fight over the one in the middle with the pretty white spots on his wings!