Create an egg carton helicopter craft – this cute and easy DIY toy is a fabulous way to upcycle your old egg cartons.
I originally made these DIY helicopters for my girls when they were little but decided to revisit the craft and reshare for todays audience with new photos and a tutorial video.
You might also like our egg carton train
This month on the blog I’m putting a big focus on recycling crafts and earth-friendly ideas. If you love crafting, you’ve probably already realised that upcycling rubbish is one of the cheapest materials you can get, so to begin with you save money. You’re also saving on waste by not purchasing a factory-produced craft material to base your craft on. OK, I know the egg carton, was factory produced, but you know what I mean, right?
These adorable mini egg carton helicopters make a great DIY toy for play once they’re finished. You could personify them by drawing different faces on the front with sharpie markers but I chose to keep them simple and plain, just like the original ones we made years ago.
If you’re making this helicopter craft with younger kids you will need to cut out the pieces for them and attach the blades to the top. Kids will love to help with the painting and gluing.
How to make an egg carton helicopter craft
You will need:
- At least one egg carton, two if you want to make lots of helicopters
- card stock
- brad clips (I like to call them split pins)
- good quality acrylic paint (if you have the washable kids paint you’ll probably need to do two coats to get an opaque finish)
- Craft glue – I use tacky craft glue, a hot glue gun would also work
- Craft knife and cutting mat
- Paint brush
- Cut out the shapes to make the helicopter. For each helicopter you’ll need a round cup, trimmed, for the body, a pointy piece cut in half for the tail, and the rounded tip of a pointy piece for the top to attach the blades to.
- Paint the pieces all one colour, except for the cup piece which needs to have a rounded windscreen painted on the front in white
- Whilst these pieces are drying, make your helicopter blades. Use a ruler to measure out some strips from card stock. The strips I’ve cut out are 7.5mm x 60mm (approx 1/3″ x 2 1/3″)
- Glue the helicopter blades into a cross shape and cut a tiny slit in the top using a craft knife. Then poke a hole in the top piece of egg carton with your craft knife. Secure the blades onto the top piece with the brad clip.
- Glue the helicopter tail to the body piece and the top to the top of the body piece – you’re all done!
Now the helicopters are ready for play!
Don’t you just love turning rubbish into something cool?
More things you can make with an egg carton:
- Make an egg carton sugar glider that flattens out to glide from tree to tree
- Star wars fans will love this egg carton Darth Vader mini figure
- Make an egg carton fire truck
- These egg carton goldfish are just too cute!
- Create a sweet egg carton jewellery box to store all that kid jewellery