Here’s an easy finger knit snake craft using chunky yarn, pom poms and felt. Don’t worry, these guys are harmless and will leave you alone so long as you don’t step on them!
This easy yarn craft was first published in 2018 and has been updated and re-shared for today’s audience.
You might also like these yarn craft ideas
Have you tried finger knitting? If not, you should—it’s super easy. We have a basic finger knitting tutorial here.
My girls love the process of finger knitting because it’s so simple and fast. The only question is what to do with the knitting once it’s done? In the past, we’ve wound up long ropes that had no real purpose. Seriously, they’ve been so long we could trail them around the room more than once because the girls are that obsessed with finger knitting.
So here’s something you can make from finger knitting… Finger knit snakes!
How to make finger knit snakes
You will need:
- Chunky yarn – the thicker the better
- Small felt scraps
- Tacky craft glue (or PVA if you have no tacky craft glue)
- Make a length of finger knitting using two fingers, and tie it off at the end. It is up to you how long you make it, snakes come in all different lengths.
- Make two small white pom poms for the eyes. If it helps you can use the smallest template from our DIY cardboard pom pom maker to make them.
- Tie a piece of white yarn tightly around the centre of one pom pom, then tie it tightly to the second pom pom. Tie the two pom poms to the finger knitting about 2 inches away from one end, securing underneath with a double knot.
- Glue two small felt circles to the centre of the pom poms at the front for eyes, and a small felt forked tongue underneath at the front of the head.
Told you it was easy to make!
They love to hang out in the garden, especially near the pond where there are lots of tasty frogs to eat.
Snakes are very misunderstood creatures. Mostly they just lay around doing nothing, sunbaking on rocks and minding their own business. Be nice to snakes (real ones too).
More yarn craft ideas
• Make a finger knit friendship necklace
• These pom pom spiders are almost as scary as the snakes!
• Fluffy pet rocks are just too cute
• Yarn dolls are another simple DIY toy
• Make some cute yarn ghosts
Leave a Reply