* This post contains affiliate links
We’ve been experimenting with lots of different craft materials lately. Yarn is one of them (and just quietly I can’t wait to show you some of the yarn projects I’ve been working on), mosaic tiles are another and we’ve always loved making things with rocks. Our experiments have led us to these decorative flower stones, inspired by our round-up of 50 fabulous flower crafts that I shared last week. It’s basically a textural collage of different materials on a smooth river stone arranged to look like flowers. We’ve incorporated some of the colourful tiles left over from our recent mosaic art but if you don’t have those you could easily substitute with something different like sequins, rhinestones, glass gems or even paint. To be honest gathering the materials is the trickiest part, making them is very easy!
You will need:
• Flat river stones – collect a few (responsibly) when you are out one day like we did when we made earth art at the local river or you can also buy them.
• Yarn in different textures and thicknesses
• Beer bottle caps – ours have been painted on the inside with nail polish
• Mosaic tiles (or a similar substitute)
• Green felt scraps for the leaves
• Tacky craft glue
Apply tacky craft glue to the top of your river stones and collage your additional materials on top to look like flowers. The yarn can be wound around in a spiral or use fluffier, thick yarn as petals. We made three different kinds of flowers:
Spiral yarn and button flowers.
Mosaic tile and button flowers.
Thickly textured yarn flowers with bottle cap and mosaic tile centres. I love the different textures of the yarn we’ve used.
This one is an abstract mosaic rock by Miss R.
Rocks have so many uses in crafting don’t you think? We love how these ones turned out, it’s a perfect way to show Spring how happy we are to see it!
More Rock craft ideas:
• Create earth art using rocks
• These weather rocks have been very popular
• Make some cute rock cakes for pretend play
• Have you ever tried making ochre paint with rocks?
• Make a funny face rock puzzle for kids
• These rock chicks are simple and fun for little kids to make
Plus you can always find lots of great nature craft ideas on our nature crafts board on Pinterest.
Or if you prefer pins without text headings on them there is also this one: