Today I’m sharing how to make fluffy pet rocks. This is a simple rock craft for kids using yarn trimmings for “fluffy” hair – and they turned out so cute!
I’ve been asked before what to do with the pom-pom trimmings that are left over when you use our DIY cardboard pom pom maker. Usually I put them in a zip lock bag and hoard them for later (as my husband would call it). It just feels like such a waste to toss them don’t you think? Well here is one idea for something you can make with them, and it’s as simple as it looks.
These fluffy pet rocks make sweet kid-made gifts, adorable paper weights or just fun little ‘pets’ the kids can keep.
How to make fluffy pet rocks
You will need:
• smooth round rocks (we found ours at the river)
• googly eyes
• felt scraps
• pom pom trimmings
• tacky craft glue
- Cover the back two thirds of your rock with craft glue and stick the fluffy bits of yarn on.
- Glue on googly eyes and a nose cut from a felt scrap.
That’s all! For the long-haired pet rock I glued the yarn on sideways and then glued one more piece vertically across the top.
Have fun making your fluffy pet rocks, but don’t forget you might need to make some pom poms first. What else would you make with the trimmings?
More rock craft ideas
• Create some decorative flower rocks
• These weather rocks were a huge hit with my kids!
• Make some unique rock cakes for pretend tea parties
• Create the cutest pebble love bugs
• Make your own funny face rock puzzle
You can also find lots of inspiration with rocks on our nature crafts board on Pinterest.