Today I’m sharing how to make fluffy yarn monsters for Halloween using left over pom pom trimmings. This is a fun kids craft idea for Halloween!
So maybe you’ve followed my DIY pom pom maker tutorial, collected a pile of trimmings (as per my instructions) and are wondering what on earth you could make with them? Here’s one thing: a fluffy yarn monster. You could also make some fluffy pet rocks, but these monsters are a perfect in the lead up to Halloween. They make cute decorations for the wall (just stick them on with a bit of blu-tack).
Our monsters are very easy to put together, and each has their own quirky look.
Here’s how to make one, or scroll down for the video tutorial.
How to make a fluffy Yarn Monster:
You will need:
• pom pom trimmings
• scrap heavy cardboard
• construction paper
• a glue stick
• PVA or craft glue
- Sketch and cut out a circular or oval shape on your piece of scrap cardboard.
- Spread some craft glue evenly on your cardboard shape, making sure its all covered completely with a paint brush.
- Spread some pom pom trimmings across the shape evenly, making sure to leave no gaps and go right to the edges. Leave aside to dry.
- Cut four strips from a sheet of construction paper and fold them backwards and forwards concertina-style to create arms and legs.
- Cut hand and foot shapes from construction paper and glue to the ends of the strips.
- Glue the ends of the arms and legs to the reverse side of the fluffy cardboard piece.
- Cut out three circles, each a different size, and glue on top of each other to create an eye. Make as many eyes as you want and then glue them to the top of the fluff with your glue stick.
- Cut out a mouth and teeth, and glue to the top of the fluff.
All done! Isn’t your monster adorable?
Or watch our video tutorial:
More fun ideas for Halloween
• Here are 8 printable Halloween paper crafts for kids
• Make a bubbling brew or a witch’s potion
• These pom pom spiders are so cute!
• Or try some easy egg carton spiders
• These egg carton monsters make a cute mini treat box