Check out this collection of over 50 fun and free Christmas crafts for kids!
We’ve got everything from free Christmas printables to recycling crafts, gift ideas, STEM crafts, nature crafts and more.
You might also like these fun Christmas printable ideas
The last couple of years haven’t been easy for anyone — lots of us are on a tight budget.
Does this mean we need to forego crafts and fun things this Christmas? Absolutely not!
Creativity has always been something you can’t buy from the shop anyway. All you need are a few basic materials and a bit of imagination and you can have just as much fun as any other year.
To illustrate my point I have gathered a collection of fun, free crafts and printables from our own archives as well as bloggers around the world. All of these ideas are free and use minimal materials you probably already have at home. If you don’t, the materials to make them are low cost to buy.
50+ fun and free Christmas crafts for kids
free ideas for advent
- Here are 24 Christmas kindness activities you can print and use as an advent calendar by Coffee and Carpool
- Create an advent art journal with these free printable Christmas drawing prompt cards
- Make an advent tree – we didn’t spend anything extra on ‘surprises’ to make this, and it was lots of fun
- Make an advent paper Christmas tree with a printable numbered ornament to glue on each day in the lead up to Christmas
Free Christmas tree crafts
- How beautiful is this faux stained glass art made using uncooked lasagna sheets? By You Clever Monkey
- Make a fringed paper tree craft like this one by Books and Giggles
- Here’s a simple Q-tip paper tree craft by Gift of Curiosity
- Make a gorgeous paper handprint tree with a fancy pull-tab to reveal a message! By Crafts by Ria
- This paper Christmas tree pop up card is simple and looks effective, by Artsy Craftsy Mom
- Get the free printable to make this free-standing paper tree over at Little Bins for Little Hands
Free Christmas STEM craft ideas
- Make a 3D paper Christmas tree like this one over at Mama Smiles
- Get the free printable to make these easy paper thaumatropes at Little Bins for Little Hands
- Explore Christmas shapes with crafts sticks using this free printable at J Daniel 4’s Mom
- How much fun does this flying reindeer STEM craft look? Get the full tutorial at Team Cartwright
Free Christmas nature craft ideas
- Create fun and easy sparkly nature ornaments – a perfect craft for preschoolers
- If it gets icy-cold where you live, make some stunning frozen Suncatchers to hang outdoors, by Take them outside
- Turn rocks into adorable rock reindeer, like these ones by Projects with kids
Free Christmas ornament ideas
- My kids had so much fun decorating these cardboard shape ornaments, which come with a free printable template, when they were pre-schoolers
- These mini paper angels are super simple to make and are one of our most popular Christmas crafts
- I adore this little recycled cork koala by Red Ted Art
- Get the free template to make these colourful Christmas star ornaments over at Picklebums
- Make a cute reindeer ornament from pasta like this one by The Joy of Sharing
- Make some gorgeous leaf painted ornaments. We made Santas and colourful spotted leaves
- Upcycle old sweaters into handmade tree ornaments, by Red Ted Art
- How pretty are these paper snowflake ornaments, by Kids Craft Room
- Upcycle milk bottle caps into Holly Ornaments, by A Little Pinch of Perfect
- Yarn and cardboard are the materials we used to make these wooly yarn wreath ornaments
Free Christmas printables
- Make kids laugh with this free set of printable Christmas jokes. Put them in handmade crackers, Christmas cards or lunchboxes
- This Christmas tree snowglobe craft comes with a free printable template, by Mombrite
- Our free printable Santa letter template has been especially designed with early writers in mind
- Kids can make their own mini Nativity book using this free template by Teach Me Mommy
- These mini paper lanterns are a fantastic classic craft to make. We have a free printable template here.
- I love these festive-looking Christmas paper cone decorations by Picklebums
- Get kids thinking and thoughtful discussion rolling with our free Christmas Would You Rather cards
Free snowman crafts
- You can’t go past a fun pop-up card at Christmas! This snowman pop-up is by Red Ted Art
- Have some potato-stamping fun with these potato-stamped snowmen by The Gingerbread House. They’d made fun handmade gift wrap!
- This cute paper snowman is a fun printable 3D card idea, by Crafts on Sea
Free paper roll craft ideas
- Make a fun paper roll gingerbread man, like this one by Meaningful Mama
- This paper roll Rudolph character is based on one of our all-time favourite Christmas books
- Make a cute pair of paper roll reindeer using our free printable template and the ‘squish and cut’ technique
Free DIY Christmas Decorations
- I love this pinecone hanging holiday card holder craft, by Barley and Birch
- Make a coffee filter Christmas wreath – so fun and festive! By Darcey and Brian
- These paper plate angels are so creative and colourful! By Oh Creative Day for The Craft Train
- Use yarn and twigs to make some Woolly Christmas star decorations
Free traditional Christmas crafts
- Make your own Christmas crackers using paper rolls and tie-dyed paper towel. We usually make our own crackers and do them differently every year.
- Kids will love getting creative with pretend baking using Christmas pudding playdough – it smells amazing!
- Make your own colourful Christmas cards using cookie cutters and scrapbook paper
More fun free Christmas crafts
- This paper roll angel is so pretty and simple to make
- Create nativity characters from paper rolls with this tutorial by Thinking Kids Blog
- How cute are these DIY arty gift tags? By Oh Creative Day
- Love this handprint reindeer art idea with free printable, by A Little Pinch of Perfect
So, have we got you covered for fun and free Christmas ideas? The only problem now is which one to make first.
Christmas books for kids
You might also be interested in