Today we have a new Christmas colouring craft for you – a printable nativity card!
This craft is about the real reason behind Christmas, the nativity, plus because it’s a card it also celebrates the true spirit of Christmas – giving.
We all love a good freebie, right? Yesterday I shared over 50 fun and free Christmas crafts for kids. Well, here’s one more for you.
Make a pop-up nativity card with baby Jesus in the manger sleeping sweetly and surrounded by animals.
Kids can decorate the front of the card however they like, write a message inside, and then give it to somebody they love this Christmas.
You could also just glue in the picture to create an ordinary card without cutting it so that the star and baby pop-out.
How to make the pop-up printable nativity card
You will need:
- A sheet of coloured construction paper
- Pencils, felt tips, crayons or similar
- The free printable nativity card template – enter your details into the box provided and it will be emailed to you
- Print out the Nativity illustration. There are two versions to choose from; one with just the baby Jesus, and the other with the animals in the barn.
- Colour the illustration and cut around the outside black line
- Fold the picture in half.
- Cut a small way in along the top and bottom of the star, up to the tips of the first point. You should be able to see the heavy black lines through the paper, but if it makes it easier you can fold the picture inside out (so the illustration is on the outside). See the diagram below for cutting lines
- Cut along the top edge of the baby Jesus, up to the hay. Also, cut along the bottom edge of the manger
- Fold these backwards and forwards, and then fold them inwards
- Glue the Illustration to a sheet of coloured construction paper, so the star and baby pop out.
Here is a top view so you can get a clearer picture of how the pop up works.
Now just write a message inside and give it to somebody special to brighten up their Christmas.
Nativity books for kids
More nativity themed crafts for kids
- Make a baby Jesus in a matchbox manger
- Print and create a 3D paper nativity scene using our printable template
- These mini paper angel ornaments are so pretty
- Make a paper roll angel craft as a fun recycled Christmas decoration idea
- Create your own set of DIY angel wings using recycled cardboard as the base