It’s not long now until Valentines Day, and I have a thing for gifts that come from the heart. That’s why I’m sharing these Sweetheart Bookmarks, they are a suitable project for beginner sewers and they make sweet kid-made gifts (or any age for that matter!).
This project is part of the Valentines Day Sew a Softie blog hop, organised by the lovely Trixie of Coloured Buttons blog. Check out some of her adorable sewing projects designed for kids over on her blog or in her book, Sew Together Grow Together.
But for now, here is how to make our simple bookmark.
You will need:
• Soft felt in at least two colours (but you can use more if you like)
• Embroidery thread
• A needle and needle threader
• This bookmark template
• Sewing pins and sharp scissors
- Print out your template, and pin the individual shapes over the colour of felt you want them to be.
- Cut out the felt to the shape of the pattern.
- Arrange your four hearts over the top of the shorter rectangular piece of felt.
- Sew each heart on using running stitch.
- Sew the smaller rectangle (now with four hearts sewn onto the front) to the larger, fringed rectangle using blanket stitch.
That’s all there is to it. You now have a handmade sweetheart bookmark to give to somebody special (or keep it for yourself!).
More Valentines Themed Crafts:
See tons more ideas over on our Valentines board on Pinterest.