If you’ve ever wondered how to make a rose from paper, it’s easy!
Handmade paper towel roses make wonderful gifts that kids can give for Valentines Day, Mothers Day or as a thank you gift. They are also a fun Spring craft idea and make a beautiful decoration any time of year.
You might also like our printable flower card
To make the roses we used scrunch-dyed paper towel that the kids had made earlier.
This is paper towel that’s been hand-dyed with liquid watercolors in a “scrunch and dip” process. It’s fun and easy to make as a process art activity on it’s own. You will need to dye the paper towel earlier to give it time to dry (I’d suggest making it the day before).
We were happy with how these paper towels turned out and knew that we wanted to use them for something special. In the end we decided to make some paper towel roses.
How to make roses from paper towel
You will need:
• Scrunch-dyed paper towel
• A long thin craft stick, chopstick or a straw
• Craft glue (although my daughter preferred to use sticky tape)
• Yarn in green
- Cut your paper towel in half
- Fold one half in half length-wise
- Fold the folded edge in half way.
- Apply a small amount of craft glue to the top edge of your stick and wrap the strip of paper towel around and around, gluing the end down
- Fold your second half of paper towel in half length-wise once
- Glue one edge to the rose you have begun making, it will be slightly longer to give you room to cover the other piece
- Wrap around and around, gradually moving the folded edge a little lower than the starting point
- Glue the outer edge down, and if you like you can fold the outside edges of your ‘petals’ down a little to look like a rose
- Where the base of the rose joins the craft stick, tie some yarn tightly and wrap around to cover the join.
Don’t they look lovely? Now you can make a whole bunch of them!
Miss 8 really loved making these and made lots of them. She put sticky tape in place of the glue and made them with her own style.
More flower crafts kids might like
• Make these easy mixed media flower rocks
• Here is a cute flower gift bag you can make using cupcake liners
• Or make some cheerful happy flowers from spoons and felt
• These felt flower clips make lovely DIY hair accessories
• Make a sweet paper tube posy