Make an I can help the Earth pop up book!
This simple cut and paste pop up book is a fun way to get kids thinking about how they can help the Earth on a personal level by recycling, reusing, saving energy and saving water.
Let’s talk about the way we talk to our kids about the environment. The media is full of stories about the dire consequences of global warming, the plastic waste problem and even mass extinction of species (including possibly ourselves!). A lot of this is very alarming, depressing and anxiety-inducing and it’s a pretty big weight to put on the shoulders of a little person.
While it’s true that some adults may need to be shocked into taking action, the shock tactic is going to have a heavier impact on a child who has no filter for these kinds of feelings. It can make them feel very worried and scared for their future and for the animals and world they love. In other words, it can give them them Earth Anxiety.
I’ve seen this happening with my own girls, who’ve come out with comments like “Mum, why did I have to be born a human?” and “Humans are the worst creatures on Earth” and “First we’re going to destroy Earth and then we’re going to move to Mars and destroy that planet too”. Their feelings of fear and hopelessness over this issue are real.
But, as humans, we are the ones who have the power to make a positive impact too.
So instead of all the negative talk, let’s talk more about the way we need to care for our Earth and the things we can do to help. Little people can make a big difference!
This I can help the earth pop up book reinforces those helpful things: Recycling, Reusing, Saving Energy and Saving water. It has easy cut and paste graphics with fill-in-the-blank prompts for kids to come up with their own action plan to help the earth.
How to make an I can help the Earth pop up book
You will need
- Paper – 5 sheets per pop-up book
- Felt tip pens, pencils or crayons
- Glue stick
- The printable template – available in both our printables store and our TPT store
- Print the template out.
- Cut each pop up page out, and match each with the graphic for that page.
- Cut out and colour in the cover.
- Fill in the blank spaces and colour the words and graphic.
- Fold the pop-up page in half and cut along the two black lines in the centre. Fold the tab forwards, then backwards whilst the page is still folded, then unfold to create a pop-out tab.
- Cut the graphic out and glue to the tab.
- Repeat steps 4-6 for each page.
- Fold the cover along the two fold lines. Glue the individual pop-up pages together into a book, and glue the cover around the outside.
Be careful that the pages are all the right way up before you
glue them together.
See – super easy! Now kids can own their own pop-up book with hand-written personalised ways to help the planet. That’s sure to help when when moment’s of earth anxiety strike.
More earth-friendly craft ideas
- Make a paper towel earth sun catcher to help decorate for Earth Day
- Make your own DIY construction set from nature
- Head outdoors and create earth art
- Did you know you can make your own ochre paint from rocks?
- Here are 50+ DIY toys to make from cardboard