Here’s a fun printable mothers day card idea – a mother and baby koala. The mother koala’s head lifts up to reveal your message and you can take the little baby out of her pouch.
This koala card also makes for a good all-occasion card such as a birthday, new baby, thank you or get well card. Or just a hello card for a person who likes koalas! (like me)
Seriously, how adorable are koalas? They are such a unique animal and deserve to be celebrated. Unfortunately they are also endangered and need our protection. This begins with teaching kids about how special they are.
Did you know that a koala is not actually a bear? It’s a marsupial, or pouched animal.
Just like all marsupials, the mother koala carries her baby in a pouch until it’s big enough to come out, which takes about six months for koalas. Technically a koala’s pouch opens towards the bottom and she keeps her baby inside with strong muscles that keep her pouch closed. For the purposes of this card – so the baby doesn’t fall out (and for cuteness), I’ve made the pouch open at the top instead.
Lift Mum’s head to write your message, and colour in the little baby. Isn’t he sweet?
This card has been designed to be printed on coloured card stock but if you want to make it more fun you can print it to white and kids can colour it in themselves.
It’s so easy to make! Here’s how.
How to make a Koala Card
You will need:
- This printable template (also available in our TPT store)
- Card stock in two colours (grey and pink are suggested, but use whatever colours you like)
- Glue stick
- Double sided tape
- Felt tip pens
1) Print the koala shapes onto grey card stock and the small heart and circle shapes onto pink card stock using the classroom set. Alternatively print it all to one colour, then trace the heart and circle shapes onto a scrap of pink using the at home set
2) Cut out the shapes
3) Bend the top tab forward on the body piece
4) Glue the head piece to this
5) Bend the tabs inwards on the pouch piece
6) Use double sided tape to stick pouch onto the tummy area (a glue stick may not be strong enough, but if you are using paper instead of card stock it will probably be fine)
7) Glue the hearts onto the feet and the semi-circles onto the ears
8) Color the tummy and feet in on the baby koala, then slide it into pouch
9) Write a message under the head flap
You can make your koala any colour you like!
Do you know someone who loves koalas?
More ideas for mothers day:
- Here are 6 simple printable mothers day card templates – blank for your own design!
- Make mum some lovely peaches and cream bath bombs
- If Mum is a reader, she would love one of these a hand-sewn sweetheart bookmarks
- If you have younger kids, they could make some recycled cereal box bookmarks
- Mum might like a lovely bouquet of handmade paper towel roses
- Here are 50+ handmade gift ideas, your sure to find something that will suit your mum!