Today we’re sharing lots of cool ways to take creativity outside with over 40 outdoor activities and crafts for kids.
You might also like these DIY toy ideas.
When you say the word ‘craft’, it makes most people think of quiet time spent indoors — but it doesn’t have to be!
There are lots of ways to get arty, crafty, messy, and playful at home in your backyard. Here are some favourites from our own archives as well as bloggers around the world.
Over 40 outdoor activities and crafts for kids
Get arty outside! Sometimes this really is the best place for messy paint activities. It’s way easier to clean up (using the garden hose), and you don’t get stains on floors and furniture.
- Bubble wrap stomp painting by The Soccer Mom Blog
- Splat painting process art by Taming Little Monsters
- Shower curtain painting by Happy Toddler Playtime
- Balloon dart painting with kids by Hello Wonderful
- Sponge painted fish outdoor art by Happy Toddler Playtime
- Painting with ochre rocks
- Nature and chalk art
- How to make DIY chalk paint by Finding Myself Young
- Three ways to paint with rain by Picklebums
- Sunscreen painting STEAM craft by Team Cartwright
- Cicada shell art
- Planet earth dirt craft by Go Science Kids
Dying fabric or paper towel is a fun process for kids to experiment with — always best done outdoors.
If you have a science or STEM-loving kid, there are lots of ways to incorporate that into outdoor play too
- DIY ball run building by And next comes L
- DIY solar oven from a cardboard box
- Printable Summer escape room for kids by Teaching ideas
- Exploding paint bombs by Steamsational
What kid doesn’t love sand play? Here are some ideas to get even more creative with it.
- Build a sandbox small world
- Make a sandpit river by Picklebums
- Create earth art using natural items at the beach (or in the sandpit!)
Messy play is a favourite for lots of kids — but not always for parents! Taking it outside is a good way to compromise.
- Make messy goo for sensory play
- Mud kitchen play ideas by Thimble and Twig
- Moon sand cupcakes by Danya Banya
- Bubbling brew for pretend play
Use the flowers and leaves in your backyard in arty or crafty projects …
- Create garden art from flowers, leaves and other natural items
- Clay nature faces by Messy Little Monster
- Gelatine flower suncatcher by Thimble and Twig
- Easy flower crowns
Here are some more ideas incorporating nature
- Build a nest scavenger hunt by The Crazy Outdoor Mama
- Backyard nature weaving frame by Mother Natured
- Nature scavenger hunt collecting box by J Daniel 4’s Mom
Here are some fun ideas to get kids gardening …
- Free printable fairy garden
- Flowerpot toadstool craft by Messy Little Monster
- Galaxy painted pots
- Dinosaur succulent garden
We love making DIY toys! Here are some fun ways to craft and play outdoors
- DIY glitter sponge cakes – play with them anywhere but best made outside)
- Scrapbook paper planes – do bigger planes fly further? You’ll have to make one and see.
- Sponge scourer boat craft
- DIY giant bubble wands – includes bubble recipe
- Recycled glittter lid suncatcher mobile
- DIY sponge water bombs – these are so much more enviro-friendly than the plastic ones, plus they’re reusable. By Crafts by Amanda
- Amazing hand bubble recipe
Which idea are you going to try this weekend?
Leave a Reply