Make some sweet paper chicks to decorate for Easter or Spring. This easy paper chick craft is mainly made from newspaper with some coloured paper and a few feathers thrown in there, so it’s a great recycling craft too.
Who doesn’t melt when they see baby chicks? They are so cute and fluffy. When we come across them at the Easter Show we can literally stand there watching them for ages making their little “cheep cheep cheep” noises.
Now you can make some at home with screwballs of newspaper wrapped in bright tissue wrap, decorated with a few bits and pieces. We’ve even made a newspaper nest for them to sit in.
Really, they are very easy. Here is how to make them…
Easy paper chick craft
You will need:
• Tissue wrap in yellow, pink or whatever colour you choose
• Orange construction paper
• Googly eyes (or a black marker)
• Glue stick and school glue
• Feathers (optional)
- Make a nest by laying a piece of newspaper flat and rolling and scrunching it in from the edges so it looks like a small nest. Get a second piece and roll it diagonally and then twist, and glue this around the top of your nest to make it a bit bigger.
- Finish the nest off by lining it with a bit of scrunched tissue paper and gluing a few feathers around the edge to decorate.
- Now to make the chicks. Lay a square of tissue paper flat and place a screwed up piece of newspaper in the centre. Wrap the scrunched newspaper in the tissue wrap, using glue from your glue stick to hold it in place. Repeat with a second square of tissue wrap.
- Make wings by folding small pieces of tissue wrap into long, pointy triangles and glue them in place.
- Cut some feet and a beak out from your orange construction paper. Glue them on.
- Glue on the googly eyes, and you’re done!
Told you they were easy! And so cute too.
You could make this your own by using brown paper instead of newspaper, and you could make them half the size by using smaller screwballs of paper. A small nest with chicks would make a good decoration for an Easter tree.
More Spring craft ideas:
• Make some butterfly prints using sponges
• These flower rocks make good paper weights or hand made gifts
• Yarn butterflies are one of our most popular crafts
• Head outdoors and make some creative garden art
• These pastel coloured paper roll bunnies are so cute!
There’s tons more to be found on our Seasonal Crafts board on Pinterest too, check it out.