If your kids are into penguins, you’re in luck! Today we’re sharing over 30 of the cutest penguin crafts for kids.
Whether you have preschoolers, kindergarteners or older kids to entertain, you’re sure to find something they’ll like from this penguin craft collection.
You might also like these snowman crafts for kids
One of the first things that springs to mind when we hear the word “penguin” is snow and ice, so it makes sense that penguins are popular as winter crafts for kids.
But did you know many penguins don’t live in the snow? As a general rule, the larger penguins like the Gentoo, Emperor and Macaroni live in Antarctic regions and smaller penguins, like Australia’s Fairy Penguin, thrive in more temperate areas with cool ocean currents. They don’t have what it takes to hack the freezing Antarctic winds! And the Galapagos Island penguin makes its home in the tropics.
Wherever they live, all penguins are adorable and worth celebrating in art and craft projects! In the process, your kids will be learning about these distinguished-looking birds and developing their creativity and fine motor skills too.
In this round up, we have printables, handprint crafts, DIY toys, penguin puppets, art ideas, recycling crafts and more.
Easy penguin crafts and activities for kids
We all love printable craft templates, don’t we? They’re low-prep, don’t require much in the way of craft supplies and are usually low-mess. Plus they make crafting with kids of all ages easy peasy! Check out these printable ideas …
- Our printable paper penguin craft needs nothing but scissors and a glue stick to complete it (unless you choose the colour-your-own version, then add markers).
- How sweet is this paper Emporer penguin Dad with his itt-bitty baby chick? By Books and Giggles
- Love the penguin’s belly in this pot belly penguin craft by Kids Craft Room
- Our pom pom penguins have the softest, fluffiest tum! Based on the Gentoo species
- This penguin greeting card craft can be used for any occasion (Valentine’s Day and Mother’s Day are coming up)
- Our penguin pom pom poppers are a fun DIY toy craft for indoor days.
- Kids will love making a rockstar penguin collage like this one by Glitter on a Dime
Penguin paper plate crafts
Paper plates are fun to incorporate into crafts and so versatile too. Here are some paper plate penguin crafts for you.
- A pom pom penguin yarn wreath like this one would make a cozy winter decoration, by Red Ted Art.
- Create a penguin small world on a paper plate, complete with cotton ball snow. By In the Playroom
- Keep it simple with this paper plate penguin craft, by Simple Everyday Mom
Penguin art ideas
Time to get the paint out and get messy with some creative art projects (not to mention torn paper, masking tape, bubble wrap and glue!).
- Here’s a super easy bubble wrap penguin art project, by Crafts on Sea
- Rock painting is always a hit with kids. Love this penguin-painted rock by Rock Painting 101
- This Macaroni penguin collage is made of torn paper and glue. Isn’t he the cutest? By Fantastic Fun and Learning
- Love this colourful tape-resist penguin art project, by Arty Crafty Kids
- Introduce your kids to watercolour painting with this watercolour penguin art tutorial by 3 Dinosaurs
Recycled penguin craft ideas
Don’t throw out your recyclables! Turn cardboard, plastic and newspaper into penguins with these fun upcycling ideas.
- Our paper stuffed Macaroni penguin is made from a recycled paper grocery bag stuffed with newspaper.
- Upcycle an egg carton into a mini colony of egg carton penguins, by One Little Project
- This newspaper penguin collage art idea looks like fun, by Fantastic Fun and Learning
- Turn recycled plastic and cotton balls into a super cute water bottle penguin craft, by Homeschool Preschool
Here are over 40 more recycling craft ideas for kids.
Penguin handprint crafts (plus one footprint idea)
Handprint painting is a fun sensory experience for toddlers and preschoolers. Once they’ve created their special penguin-themed print, try having some extra art paper on hand so they can paint freestyle too. The finished kid-sized handprint art looks adorable and makes cute gifts and keepsakes. Here are some ways to incorporate hands and feet into penguin-themed projects.
- I adore this penguin footprint painting idea from Crafts By Amanda
- Here’s a cute pair of handprint penguins made simple with a printable glue-on head, by Homeschool of 1
- This penguin salt dough handprint ornament is not only a fun craft, it also makes a cute keepsake, by Messy Little Monster
- These handprint penguins against a snowy landscape are so cute! By The Best Ideas for Kids
- Make a construction paper penguin with a handprint tum, by Toddler Approved
Penguin puppet crafts
Puppets are great because they keep kids busy with a craft project that becomes a DIY toy. Here are some penguin puppets your kids will love …
- Sew a felt penguin finger puppet like this cutie by In the Playroom
- These classic penguin paper bag puppets are by Simple Everyday Mom
- How cute is this hatching chick penguin puppet? By Kids Craft Room
- This printable penguin ‘flappy’ puppet is by Red Ted Art
- These penguin craft stick puppets look quick, easy and adorable, by Simple Everyday Mom
More adorable penguin crafts
There are always a few “leftover crafts” that don’t fit into my carefully curated collages but deserve to be included all the same. So here are some more penguin crafts for you …
- This hand-sewn penguin was designed as a Christmas ornament but could be turned into a pencil topper if you leave the base unsewn and don’t add stuffing.
- Create a giant popsicle stick penguin like this one, based on the Macaroni penguin by Fireflies and Mudpies
- Make a cute and easy origami penguin bookmark like this one by Red Ted Art
- You can’t go past paper rolls when crafting with prechoolers. These toilet paper roll penguins are by Taming Little Monsters
Are you inspired to get into some black-and-white, wintry, penguin-making? If so, enjoy!
You might also like
- Printable Winter papercrafts
- Valentine’s crafts and activities
- Reptile crafts and activities
- Paper plate ocean animals