Do you have a kid who likes goldfish? If so you’re in luck, because today we’re sharing a super-easy pom pom goldfish for kids to make. The printable template’s a freebie.
You might also like our egg carton goldfish craft
We can’t get enough of cute pom pom animal crafts. In the past, we’ve made pom pom turtles, hedgehogs and pandas. Now we’re adding to the collection with this fluffy yarn goldfish.
I know what you’re thinking: goldfish aren’t fluffy, but you try telling these guys that. They think they look great in shaggy yellow and orange yarn.
This easy printable craft is made with our medium-sized DIY cardboard pom pom maker. To make it simpler for you, I’ve included the correct sized template in the same download as the goldfish frame. To get your copy put your email address in the box provided and the template will be emailed to you.
Lets get started …
How to make a pom pom goldfish
You will need
- The goldfish template printed on white card stock. There is a yellow and an orange one to choose from (or make them both so your fish doesn’t get lonely)
- Recycled cardboard for the pom pom maker
- Glue stick
- Sharp Scissors
Cut around the outer edge of the rectangular shape on your template. Fold it in half on the centre line and glue together so you have a double-sided card.
Cut around the fish shape on the side that has a white background. Then cut along the white slit and cut the centre circle out.
Create your own DIY pom pom maker from recycled cardboard using the pom pom maker template. For more detailed instructions on how to make it see this article here.
Wrap yarn around the pom pom maker until you have a puffy bundle of it. Tie it in the centre and slide off the end of the pom pom make. Wrap the string around it a second time and tie it extra-tight.
Slip the looped bundle of yarn into the centre circle on your goldfish template so there is one looped bundle on each side of the card. Trim the looped ends so they turn into a pom pom.
The goldfish looks cute all shaggy so you can leave it this way if you want, but I gave our fish a trim to tidy them up.
Now all you need to do is make him some friends!
More easy ocean animal crafts for kids
- Make a light-up jellyfish decoration from tissue paper and mod podge
- Turn an egg carton into a DIY coral reef nightlight, complete with free printable tropical fish
- Sew a jellyfish softie from felt using our free printable pattern
- These paper roll seahorse puppets are easy and fun to make
- Preschoolers will love making some cute paper roll fish!
Leave a Reply