Kids will love making these adorable pom pom spiders for Halloween decorations.
Don’t these little cuties make you smile? Our pom pom spiders are so soft and fluffy, and the good news is they are very easy to make too!
You may have seen our DIY pom pom maker before. It’s a simple scrap of cardboard cut into a square ‘U’ shape which makes it quick and easy to create big, fluffy pom poms. By adding some pipe cleaners to the centre of the pom pom maker before your wrap it with yarn you can then turn the pom pom into a spider with eight legs.
How to make pom pom spiders
You will need:
• yarn – the bulky style works well
• four pipe cleaners per spider
• DIY cardboard pom pom maker – I’d go for the medium size if you use our template
• googly eyes – to get technical most spiders have eight eyes, but some have six or fewer. Our spiders have six eyes because they fit easy and look cute.
• a small scrap of felt cut into a mouth shape
• hot glue gun
- Place your pipe cleaners onto the top of the pom pom maker and wrap yarn around and over them, just as if you were making a pom pom.
- Once the yarn looks like a large enough lump to make a pom pom, tie across the centre with string.
- Gently slide it of and tie around the centre tighter two more times. It’s good to have a nice, tight knot.
- Cut the looped ends to make a pom pom. It will be shaggy and uneven at first, so place a piece of paper underneath and trim to tidy up with a pair of sharp scissors.
- Bend the pipe cleaners into leg shapes.
- Hot glue on the googly eyes and mouth.
Ta-da! So cute. Ours are friendly spiders, not scary ones.
Remember to keep all the fluffy trimmings because next week I’m going to show you how to make something with them.
More Halloween ideas:
• Check out our 8 printable Halloween paper crafts
• Make some cute monster treat holders
• Here are some easy salt dough Halloween ornaments you can make
• Make a bubbling brew or a witches potion for some fizzy, messy fun