How adorable is this recycled squid craft by Mini Mad Things?
Today as part of our sustainable crafting theme I’m pleased to have Eleanor from Mini Mad Things sharing this easy recycled squid craft for kids. Plastic waste is such a HUGE problem, it’s good to know that plastic can be recycled – and even better, upcycled into a friendly pet squid.
How to make a recycled plastic squid craft
Introducing Mr Squidy!
At MINI MAD THINGS we love making crafts using recycled materials. Recently I have been chatting with my little ones about recycling and the impact our waste has on the world around us. We created Mr Squid using bottle tops and plastic bags, this was a starting point for a conversation about plastic waste in our oceans and the effects it has on animals.
You will need
- Paper cups
- Plastic bottle tops
- Plastic bags
- Googly eyes — or use our free printable paper eyes for a more eco-friendly version
- Paper straws
- Wooden beads
- Hole punch
Here is how we made Mr Squidy:
- Begin by punching holes around the top edge of your paper cup, if you don’t have a hole punch carefully use some pointy scissors to make the holes. Then made a hole in the base of your cup.
- Make holes in the centre of your plastic bottle tops using a hot skewer.
- Now paint your paper cup.
- Once the paint has dried, add some strings to the edge of the cup to make tentacles and a loop of string from the base of the cup so you can hang your squid up.
- Begin to thread on your bottle tops, straws and wooden beads to make the tentacles. Secure the end by knotting a wooden bead in place.
- Cut your plastic bags into long strips and then add these to your cup to make more tentacles.
- Now add your squid eyes using bottle tops and google eyes. We glued ours on using hot glue.
- If you prefer not to use plastic in your crafts you can make a version of the squid using cardboard and cotton fabric strips rather than plastic bags and bottle tops. Then your squid will be compostable after you have finished playing with it.
- Now play with your new squid friend!
More recycled craft ideas by Mini Mad Things
- How cool is this recycled cardboard dolls house?
- Upcycle junk into a mobile
- Get ready for takeoff with a hand made jetpack and space helmet
- Why watch boring television when you can make your own super fun cardboard box TV?
- Here is a fun upcycled bottle top snake
About Mini Mad Things
At MINI MAD THINGS, we create fun children’s dress up costumes and accessories to aid in imaginative play. Ethically hand crafted in Nepal, or hand made in our Australian workshop, every item is produced with care. We also have a kids craft blog with lots of fun craft activity ideas you can make at home with your little ones. For us it’s all about play. Our aim is to help children see the magic in the world and to be part of it, engage with it and belong to it.
What’s the rush to grow up?
Let them be little!