How cute and easy is this rock chick craft the girls and I made while on a farm stay?
Sometimes the most simple crafts really are the best. These chicks are made with feathers that have been gathered from nature (as opposed to dyed ones purchased from the craft store) and are perfect for preschoolers and older kids alike.
This craft was originally shared in 2013 and has been updated and reshared for today’s audience.
You might also like our paper plate chicks
As my girls have grown, we have regularly taken them on farm-stay holidays. I love seeing them connect with the land, outdoors, and where our food really comes from. This is so much easier to explain when they can bottle feed calves, milk cows by hand, gather eggs from nest boxes, and hold baby chicks in their hands.
Of course, their favourite part of farm stay holidays has always been the baby animals! One year we were inspired to create some rock chicks from rustic-looking round rocks the girls gathered from the dirt road, and spotted guinea-fowl feathers they found laying on the ground.
It may or may not surprise you that we just happened to bring along our glue and googly eyes, as well as their typical stack of colouring books, blank paper, scissors and felt tip markers. It makes for a far more peaceful holiday if the kids can entertain themselves screen-free whilst we sit on the verandah with a cup of tea for at least 15 minutes undisturbed.
How to make Rock Chicks
You will need:
- Round-ish rocks
- Googly eyes
- Yellow or orange paper (or white paper coloured in yellow or orange)
- Wash your rocks if you’ve gathered them from the roadside like we did and allow to dry
- Glue on feathers for wings and tail
- Glue on googly eyes
- Fold a scrap of orange or yellow paper in half, snip a triangle out from the fold, and glue on for a beak
So simple, quick and easy!
More chick themed crafts kids will love
- Make some paper chicks in a newspaper nest
- Try these easy potato stamp chicks
- This geometric paper craft chicken has three little baby chicks tucked neatly under her wing
- Make a cute paper plate chick
- Here’s a free printable chick basket kids can make from paper