Make a paper star decoration that spins in the wind with our latest printable template.
This is a fun kids’ craft for Christmas and the festive season. It has been designed in the style of the North Star from the Christmas Nativity story.
Stars are synonymous with Christmas and also with New Year celebrations!
This star spinner has been created in a similar way to our Spinning paper earth craft and also our spinning heart.
It works by hanging the finished decoration by a piece of string in a place where it can catch the breeze. You can hang it on a hook on the roof, or simply press it to the roof with a piece of blu tack like I did.
The beads at the end of the string are important to add some weight which helps to keep your star it in place and spin.
Our template has both a colour-your-own version and a full colour one if you want to save time.
How to make a paper star spinner
You will need
- The star spinner template, available in both our printables store and our TPT store
- White card stock (recommended for sturdiness)
- Coloured markers, pencils or crayons if you want to colour your own star
- Beads for weight
- Sticky tape
- Optional needle and needle threader (depending on how wide the hole is in your beads)
- Glue stick
Print the template out onto card stock. If you are colouring your own design, do that step now.
Score the vertical centre lines with either a blunt butter knife and ruler or a scoring tool. This step is optional, but it does give crisp, clean fold lines and make step 5 easier.
Cut the circular shapes out.
Fold the stars in half and glue them in a stack of four.
Stick the string into the middle using a piece of sticky tape, then glue the final panel together to make the circular decoration.
Thread beads onto the bottom of the string and tie into a knot. You may need to use a needle and threader for this step if your beads have a narrow hole.
Tie the top of the string into a loop so you can hang it.
It looks so pretty twirling in the wind!
More Christmas printables you might like:
- Make a paper angel ornament that can be hung on the tree
- We have a complete nativity set you can make from paper
- Make a super-cute reindeer pillow box with our free template
- Here are 12 Christmas crafts to make from paper
lalitha sundaram says
Great Idea!I simply loved it