Make some bright and colourful Halloween sun catchers using tie-dyed paper towel. They look gorgeous in the window and make an easy Halloween craft for kids
If you’re looking for a fun and easy Halloween craft for kids these tie dyed Halloween sun catchers are for you!
Who ever said that Halloween decorations need to be black, dark and scary? We like to make them colourful and fun.
We put some of our tie dyed paper towel art to good use to make some bright window decorations. Alternatively you could use scrunch-dyed paper towel (or indeed paper towel decorated any way you choose).
The girls really enjoyed the process of making the tie dyed paper towel by wrapping a tightly-folded piece of towel with elastic bands and then dipping it in water with food colouring added. Unwrapping the resulting paper towel artwork is just like magic. You can see the full tutorial here.
How to make tie dyed Halloween Sun Catchers
You will need
• A stack of dry tie-dyed paper towel
• Lead pencil
• Blu tack
How to make a bat
- Fold a piece of paper towel in half, then in half again
- Sketch half a bat shape against the fold
- Cut it out, whilst folded
- Unfold to reveal two colourful bats
How to make a pumpkin
- Fold a piece of paper towel in half
- Sketch half a pumpkin shape against the fold. Add half a nose and half a mouth
- Fold in half again and sketch half an eye shape horizontally against the fold
- Cut the eye out, unfold
- Cut the mouth, nose and pumpkin shape out
- Unfold to reveal a pumpkin
Use tiny pieces of blu-tack or sticky tack to attach your Halloween decorations to the window
Who’s that cheeky monkey looking out the window?
In Australia not everybody participates in Halloween which can be a bit confusing for trick or treaters dressed in costume. The Halloween sun catchers help signal to the neighbourhood that we welcome trick or treaters here.
If you like bat crafts, you’ll love our printable hanging paper bat too.
More Halloween decoration ideas
• Make a funny balloon monster using our printable
• These Halloween salt dough ornaments are fun to make
• Make some easy fluffy yarn monsters
• Yarn doll ghosts put a halloween twist on a classic craft
• These pom pom spiders are so fluffy and cute!