Make bright and colourful Halloween suncatchers using tie-dyed paper towel. They look gorgeous in the window and make an easy Halloween craft for kids.
Who ever said that Halloween decorations need to be black, dark and scary? We like to make them colourful and fun.
We put some of our tie dyed paper towel art to good use to make these bright window decorations. Alternatively you could use scrunch-dyed paper towel (or indeed paper towel decorated any way you choose).
The girls really enjoyed the process of making the tie dyed paper towel by wrapping a tightly-folded piece of towel with elastic bands and then dipping it in water with food colouring added. Unwrapping the resulting paper towel artwork is just like magic. You can see the full tutorial here.
How to make tie dyed Halloween Suncatchers
You will need
• A stack of dry tie-dyed paper towel
• Lead pencil
• Blu tack
How to make a bat suncatcher
- Fold a piece of paper towel in half, then in half again
- Sketch half a bat shape against the fold
- Cut it out, whilst folded
- Unfold to reveal two colourful bats
Aren’t they stunning?
How to make a pumpkin suncatcher
- Fold a piece of paper towel in half
- Sketch half a pumpkin shape against the fold. Add half a nose and half a mouth
- Fold in half again and sketch half an eye shape horizontally against the fold
- Cut the eye out, unfold
- Cut the mouth, nose and pumpkin shape out
- Unfold to reveal a pumpkin
Use tiny pieces of blu-tack or sticky tack to attach your Halloween decorations to the window
Here is a shot taken from the outdoors looking in. The pumpkins are shouting to the neighbourhood “Happy Halloween, get your treats here!”
Who’s that cheeky monkey looking out the window?
If you like bat crafts, you’ll love our printable hanging paper bat too.
More Halloween decoration ideas
• Make a funny balloon monster using our printable
• These Halloween salt dough ornaments are fun to make
• Make some easy fluffy yarn monsters
• Yarn doll ghosts put a halloween twist on a classic craft
• These pom pom spiders are so fluffy and cute!
Leave a Reply