Do you have any dinosaur fans at your place? I have two. In the past the girls and I have made dinosaurs from paper plates, used plastic dinosaurs in messy play and board games, and now we bring you toilet roll dinosaurs! By cutting and folding toilet rolls (or any cardboard tube) you can make a Diplodocus and Triceratops, here’s how…
You will need:
• Cardboard tubes (one toilet roll per dinosaur or one paper towel roll cut in half will make two dinosaurs)
• Paint and paintbrush
• Permanent marker to draw on the eyes (optional, you could stick on small googly eyes or paint them on if you prefer)
• Dinosaur shape templates
The diplodocus is very simple. Trace or sketch the dinosaur shape from the template onto a flattened cardboard tube first. It should look like this:
Cut it out…
Fold the tail and head down so that they point towards the ground
…and then paint and decorate.
Trace or sketch the template shape on to a flattened toilet roll. It should look like this.
Cut out the body shape first.Then fold the tail down so that it points toward the ground as shown.
This part is the neck and horns. Fold the neck down and point the horns back up towards the sky.
Cut out the head shape.
Fold it horizontally to make it easier to cut out two slits for the horns, as shown below. They should be about where the two bulges are on the sides of the head.
This piece then slots on to the horns to form the head.
Paint and decorate. It might be easier to paint the head and body as separate pieces and then slot the head back on to the horns.
Can you see the obvious flaw in my triceratops design? I’ve forgotten to make a third horn – whoops! I’ve made up for it by painting one on, but you could cut a small pop-up one on the tip of the nose instead if you like.
And there you have toilet roll dinosaurs.
Coming soon… toilet roll pterodactyls!
You can find plenty more ways to upcycle toilet rolls in craft activities on my Cardboard tubes board on Pinterest.
More Dinosaur Ideas
For all those dinosaur fans, here is a collection of more fun Dinosaur ideas by ourselves and also from some of our awesome blogging buddies:
1. Dinosaurs in Sticky Mud by The Craft Train
2. Dinosaur Party Ideas by Learn with Play at Home
3. Play Dough Dinosaur Printing by Learning 4 Kids
4. Dinosaurs in Rainbow Jelly from The Craft Train
5. Picture books about Dinosaurs by Honey Bee Books
6. Dinosaur gift box by Mother Natured
7. Dinosaur Cereal Box Board Game by The Craft Train
8. Sparkly Paper Plate Dinosaurs by The Craft Train
9. 10 Dinosaur activities for kids by Happy Whimsical Hearts
Make a Dinosaur Helmet by Learn with Play at Home