Get arty with some watercolour and crayon-resist heart art. This is a fun Valentine’s Day art project that incorporates patterning, painting and a little bit of wax-resist magic!
You might also like these Valentine’s crafts and printables
It’s hard to resist the age-old technique of painting with watercolour and crayon.
This is something I clearly remember loving doing waaaay back when I was a kid myself.
With this version, I’ve used the large heart in our set of printable Valentine hearts as the base shape. The coloured crayons combined with white crayons gives a colourful, fun result.
How to make crayon and watercolour resist heart art
You will need
- A cutout of the large heart shape in our set of free printable Valentine’s hearts
- Watercolour art paper – I’ve used A3 size and created two hearts per page, but you could use standard size and fit one per page
- Coloured Crayons – the light, bright colours work best with resist painting
- White Crayons
- Liquid Watercolour paints
- Sponge brush
- Lead pencil
Trace the large heart onto a sheet of watercolour paper.
Decorate with patterns drawn in crayon. Use the coloured crayon first, then add detail with white crayon. You can colour in sections, add ‘O’s and ‘X’s, or add white lines and dots in between your coloured lines.
Here are some more examples …
Tip a small amount of liquid watercolour. into a bowl or dish and use your sponge brush to paint the watercolour on.
Optional: Colour create a gradient blend with two different colours.
It’s magical watching the white lines appear and the colours become more vivid.
Once dry, cut the hearts out. Hang them on the wall to decorate for Valentines Day, or write on the back and use as Valentine cards to someone special.
Experiment with different-sized hearts and different doodle patterns
More Valentines Day crafts your kids will love
- Make a cute set of Love Monster finger puppets with this printable
- Create a Valentines Day doodle heart card using this template
- Here’s a 3D paper mouse created mostly from hearts
- Preschoolers will love making these paper roll love bugs
- Paper Heart people were designed to spread the love!
Check out our printable Valentine’s Day paper crafts