Do you enjoy yarn crafts as much as I do? If so then you’ll love this collection of fun and easy yarn crafts for kids!
You might also like our Fun, free, kids printables
I have a funny thing for yarn. I hoard it like crazy and always have a stash of it in my craft supplies. I love the rainbow of colours and textures it comes in, plus it’s easy to store, non-messy and oh-so-versatile.
If you’re a knitter or like to crochet, keep the scrap yarn left over for the kids. Or when it’s on sale in craft stores for a couple of dollars, get some. It can be used for anything from finger knitting to weaving to DIY pom poms. Yarn projects come in all shapes and sizes!
So grab a pair of scissors and get started on some of these kids yarn craft ideas.
15+ Easy yarn crafts for kids
Finger knitting ideas
Finger knitting is one of my girls’ all-time favourites. It’s great for fine motor skills and kids as young as five can do it easily.
- Here’s a finger knitting step-by-step tutorial
- Finger knitted friendship necklace. You could also make a bracelet using this technique
- Finger knit snakes made from chunky yarn
Pom pom crafts
You can’t beat DIY pom poms for a quick and easy weekend craft!
- Here’s the easiest DIY pom pom maker EVER, made from a piece of scrap cardboard. And no, it’s not the circular disc style you’re thinking of
- Make a friendly, fuzzy pom pom spider
- Use the pom pom trimmings to make these adorable fluffy pet rocks
Make some adorable pom pom animals using our free prinatble templates…
- Pom pom hedgehogs
- Pom pom turtles
- Fluffy-tum pom pom pandas
Yarn chick crafts
There’s something about chick crafts that goes perfectly with yarn.
- Fluffy pom pom chicks with free template
- Fluffy chick cards, so cute for Spring or Easter, made from the scraps of yarn left over from pom poms
DIY toys made from yarn
You can use yarn to make the cutest handmade dolls and DIY toys.
- Try these traditional braided yarn dolls
- Yarn-wrapped paper roll bunnies are SO adorable, made from toilet rolls and yarn of different textures
- Yarn has been used for the clothing on these sweet mini craft stick fairies. See how we made them a castle from craft sticks
- I love the fuzzy yarn hair and skirts on these pom pom and pipe cleaner dolls
Yarn weaving projects
Here are some fun yarn weaving ideas. Hang the finished project on hooks (or in the case of the butterflies glue magnets on the back) to turn them into gorgeous home decor.
- Traditional god’s Eye weaving complete with easy handmade tassels is always a favourite
- The more adventurous can take it up a notch to create god’s eye woven stars
- The god’s eye weave was also the inspiration behind these woven craft stick butterflies
Halloween yarn crafts
Yarn crafts are always fun on holidays too, here are some Halloween ideas:
- These fluffy yarn monsters are made from pom pom trimmings
- Create cute and spooky yarn ghosts
- Spider web frames make a great Halloween photo keepsake or gift idea for grandparents
- Here are some cute, fluffy, pom pom monsters. The template is free
Yarn Christmas crafts
And for the Christmas tree try:
- Make some easy woolly yarn wreath ornaments
- Wrap sticks in yearn and turn them into woolly twig stars
I hope some of these creative ideas have inspired you to pull out your favorite colors of yarn and get crafting.
More traditional crafts for kids:
- Here are some Easy sewing crafts for kids
- How to make traditional clay coil pots
- Create traditional mosaic art with kids
- Here are 3 easy tie dye techniqueskids can make
Leave a Reply