Make some super fluffy yarn monsters using a DIY pom pom maker and our free printable template.
Make these cuties as a fun Halloween project or any time of year.
You might also like our 3D monster portraits
I have a thing for pom pom crafts. They’re so fluffy I find them irresistible, and these fluffy yarn monsters are no exception. Check out the links at the end of this article for more pom pom craft printables.
There are four fun monster templates to choose from. All you need to do is print to card stock and find a matching yarn and you’re ready to get started.
How to make fluffy yarn monsters from pom poms
You will need:
- Yarn in yellow, green, blue, and purple
- A piece of recycled cardboard
- Glue stick
- White card stock
- The pom pom monster template
- Print your template to card stock (recommended. Paper might work but it will be less sturdy and I haven’t actually tried it myself.)
- Cut around the outer rectangular shape of the monster template of your choice. Fold along centre line and glue together using a glue stick—you now have a double-sided card.
- Cut the monster out, then cut along the white line and cut the centre circle out to create your pom pom frame.
- Make your own DIY pom pom maker by tracing the pom pom maker template (page 5 of the download) onto a scrap of heavy recycled cardboard and cutting it out. For more detailed instructions we have a full DIY pom pom maker tutorial.
- Wrap yarn around the DIY pom pom maker so you have a fat bundle of it.
- Tie the centre with string and slide the bundle off the end of your pom pom maker.
- Now tie the centre of your yarn bundle as tight as you can—this is a very important step because it’s what holds your pom pom together.
- Slip the bundle inside the side slit of your monster so it’s half poking out the front and half poking out the back. Cut the looped ends.
- Your monster will need a trim—or maybe you’d prefer him or her shaggy. It’s up to you!
- Your fluffy yarn monster is going to need a few friends to keep him company. Make them all.
These guys and gals are monstrously cheeky—so look out!
More pom pom template crafts kids can make: