These simple yarn wreath ornaments are an easy Christmas craft for kids of all ages (adults too!).
They are a great way to practice and develop fine motor skills and the finished ornaments look gorgeous hanging on the tree.
We made these ones back when my girls were pre-schoolers, and still have them in our ornament box today (they are big 4th and 5th graders now!).
You might also like these 50 Fun and free Christmas crafts
I have a penchant for collecting odd balls of textured, chunky yarn. In fact, my yarn collection is pretty enormous even though I have no idea how to knit or crochet. It all gets used up in other crafts like our braided yarn dolls and DIY pom poms.
Yarn wreaths are another great way to put them to use. They work best, and are fastest to make, with the very thick type – the fluffier the better!
If you like to decorate with a specific colour theme each year, you could easily make these in the colours to suit it. We, however, have an eclectic mix of hand made ornaments that have grown with the kids. I love pulling them out each year and adding more to the collection, kid-made ornaments really do make lovely keepsakes.
Want to make some? Here’s how…
How to make Yarn wreath ornaments
You will need:
- A copy of the wreath templates
- Chunky style wool
- Twine for hanging
- Thick recycled cardboard
- Trace the template onto thick recycled cardboard and cut it out
- Tie on a loop of string, ribbon or twine for hanging (or if you prefer you can do this at the end)
- Cut a long length of the wool and tie it to the ring, then wrap it around and around the cardboard wreath, all the way around until it’s completely covered in yarn.If woking with younger kids, you can cut the pieces of textured yarn a bit shorter because shorter pieces are easier to work with. When the yarn runs out, tie a new piece to it and keep going
- When finished, tie the end to the beginning piece of yarn so it doesn’t unravel
- Tie a piece of ribbon or a different contrasting style of chunky wool around the string into a bow
My kids were so proud of their yarn wreath ornaments!
These yarn wreath ornaments would make a lovely handmade gift idea for somebody special too.
More Christmas ornaments kids can make:
- Make a Rainbow Magic spoon fairy ornament
- Simple cardboard shape ornaments are fun to make and decorate
- Check out some of the paper ornaments in our Christmas paper craft collection
- Hand sewn pear ornaments also make lovely keepsakes
- Sparkly nature ornaments are another fun idea for pre-schoolers
- My kids came up with the idea for these easy hair elastic wreaths