Today I’m sharing this super quick and easy sponge butterfly printing art idea, suitable for kids of all ages (kids at heart included!)
Before I get into the tutorial I have some exciting news to share: I’ve recently combined with some of my craft blogging friends to create a new Instagram challenge page called Creative Childhood. We’re making our way through the alphabet and choosing a theme beginning with each letter. This week it’s B for Butterfly which is why I’ve chosen to create some butterfly prints. If you’d like to enter the Creative Childhood challenge yourself that would be awesome! Visit our instagram page to check out the theme of the week and then upload your photo along with the #creativechildhood hashtag. It’s lots of fun I promise, and the judges of the week will each choose their favourite submissions to be featured on both their own instagram account as well as ours.
Now onto some butterfly printing…
This fun and easy stamping technique uses only paint, sponges and hair elastics (plus paper or your chosen print surface). Watch our short video tutorial or read on for the written instructions and step-by-step photos.
Butterfly printing with sponges
If you’d like to keep up with all of our new projects on video we now have a youtube channel, you’re welcome to subscribe.
You will need:
• Paint (I’ve used acrylic but poster paint will also be fine)
• Kitchen sponges – 1 per butterfly design
• Hair elastics – 1 per butterfly
- Scrunch sponge and tie in the centre with a hair elastic
- Squirt paint in assorted colours directly onto one side of the butterfly
- Fold and squish together creating a symmetrical pattern
- Optional – add some extra dots of paint for decorative patterns (I’ve used a cotton bud)
- Print the side covered in paint onto paper
- Paint in the detail of a body and antennae (optional)
And that’s all there is to it!
I told you it was easy!
More butterfly art and craft ideas:
• Create some gorgeous craft stick butterflies using a ‘god’s eye’ weaving technique
• Create a colourful paper butterfly wand and tiara with our printable template
• Make a DIY butterfly pinata
• Make some sparkly glitter peg butterflies