Today I’m sharing this super quick and easy sponge butterfly printing art idea, suitable for kids of all ages (kids at heart included!)
You might also like our 3D Cube Bugs
Butterfly crafts are one of my favourite things! I originally did this craft with my kids when they were preschoolers to make cards and wrapping paper for mothers day one year.
Of course, butterfly prints are beautiful for a regular art activity too, so today we are revisiting the idea to make a simple picture for our wall.
Whilst this is a fun activity for preschoolers it would also be great for older kids. You could talk about symmetry and make different patterns on the wings. Our Butterfly Squish Art with printable butterfly-shaped templates is another way to do this.
This fun and easy stamping technique uses only paint, sponges and hair elastics (plus paper or your chosen print surface). Watch our short video tutorial or read on for the written instructions and step-by-step photos.
Butterfly printing with sponges
You will need:
• Paint (I’ve used acrylic but poster paint will also be fine)
• Kitchen sponges – 1 per butterfly design
• Hair elastics – 1 per butterfly
- Scrunch sponge and tie in the centre with a hair elastic
- Squirt paint in assorted colours directly onto one side of the butterfly
- Fold and squish together creating a symmetrical pattern
- Optional – add some extra dots of paint for decorative patterns (I’ve used a cotton bud)
- Print the side covered in paint onto paper
- Paint in the detail of a body and antennae (optional)
And that’s all there is to it!
I told you it was easy!
More butterfly art and craft ideas:
• Create some gorgeous craft stick butterflies using a ‘god’s eye’ weaving technique
• Create a colourful paper butterfly wand and tiara with our printable template
• Make a DIY butterfly pinata
• Make some sparkly glitter peg butterflies