Make some cute felt dinosaurs using our printable pattern!
This sewing craft for kids is part of the Sew a Softie blog hop organised by the fabulous Trixie from Coloured buttons. Check out some of the gorgeous kids sewing tutorials she shares regularly on her blog.
Meet our new pets, Douglas Diplodocus and Sunshine Stegosaurus. Douglas knows he’s not perfect. His tail is a little too lumpy and his stitches a little uneven, but he also knows his best friend Sunshine loves him just the way he is. He doesn’t need to be perfect and neither does she. We love them the way they are too.
Want to make your own felt dinosaurs? Here is how…
How to make felt dinosaurs
You will need:
• Soft felt
• Embroidery thread
• Sewing needle and needle threader
• Small buttons
• Fabric glue
• The printable dinosaur softie pattern below
- Pin the template to some felt and cut out the shapes. You will need two of each body shape and one spine for the stegosaurus.
- Sew the buttons in place for eyes, making sure they are on the correct side for when you sew them together.
- For the stegosaurus, use a bit of fabric glue to stick the spine to the inside of the back and tail.
- If you like, you can hold the shapes together with a pin or two for sewing the pieces together but I didn’t do this.
- Sew together using blanket stitch around the tail, legs and head first leaving a gap along the back for adding stuffing.
- For the Stegosaurus, you will need to use running stitch along the spine.
- Stuff and sew the gap.
- Optional – decorate with a few felt spots by gluing them on.
The girls adore their new little pets! Aren’t they sweet?
More dinosaur craft ideas:
• Make some paper plate dinosaurs using our free printable templates
• These paper roll dinosaurs are so cute!
• Make a dinosaur small world in a suitcase – perfect for travel
• These printable pterodactyl puppets have always been popular
Lisa // Cucicucicoo: Eco Sewing & Crafting says
I just love these! They are sweet and perfect the way they are, and I know my kids would loooove them! 🙂 Lisa
Thanks so much Lisa! I love that your kids would love them 🙂
These are so sweet, my neice would love both I think.
Thanks Julie, I’m glad you like them. My girls adore their new dino plushies 🙂
Sunshine and Douglas are just perfect!! What sweet dinosaur softies you’ve created. Thanks for joining in to Sew a Softie. I love seeing all your creations!!
I love the little softies, but cant find the patterns. Would you please post them again.
May I know the rules for selling finish product of this pattern please? Thank you.
It’s for non-commercial use only, sorry I’d prefer you don’t sell the softies.
Holly S says
I would love to have my boys try sewing these cute dinosaurs but I can’t seem to find the pattern. I may be missing them. Please help!
Hi, the pattern had dropped out of the blog post for some reason – thank you for letting me know. I’ve updated the e-form so you can enter your details and get the template emailed to you now.
My 9 year old has just sewn these pair up for her friend’s younger brother’s birthday. We can’t wait to see how much he likes them. Thanks for the great easy to sew pattern, my daughter had a lot of fun making them.
That’s fantastic to hear! Thank you for your feedback 🙂
Carol Fellows says
I have tried to download these patterns but they do not come to my email. Can you help?
I just double-checked the form myself and it worked for me. Have you checked your spam filter, or your ‘promotions’ tab (for gmail)?
These tiny dinos are so cute! Blessed with an abundance of felt and fleece scraps and a huge haul of crewel yarns, I may work up some to gift to my tiny tots storytime regulars during the holiday season. Thank you for the idea and the templates.
How sweet! I hope they like them 🙂
Linda Schuemaker says
I would love to make these for Operation Christmas Child shoeboxes!
Sounds like a great idea!