Create a gorgeous stamped rose card for somebody you love. This easy handmade card idea is perfect for Mothers Day, Valentines Day or just to “send love” to somebody in the mail.
The bunch of roses artwork on the card has been created quickly and easily using a handmade sponge stamp. It’s so fun to make!
You might also like our mother and baby koala card
When I was growing up card-making was my obsession. I spent hours in my room designing and making cards (pop ups were my favourite). When I’d finished making them I’d post them to my favourite people – usually my Nan. I can imagine how it made her smile to open all those cards. She never got tired of receiving things in the mail.
Nan’s not with us any more but I know she would have loved this rose card design, which is very easy to make using a paint-stamping technique.
You could use your handmade rose stamp for more than just cards though. This printing technique would also make pretty handmade gift wrap, gift tags and artwork to hang on the wall.
How to make a stamped rose card
You will need:
- Card stock paper
- Optional thinner construction paper for the inside of the card
- A sponge cleaning cloth, cut in half
- A piece of rectangular kitchen sponge – just get the cheapest no-name brand, the thicker expensive ones are more difficult to cut up
- A Q-tip/cotton bud
- Acrylic paint
- Glue stick
- A piece of newspaper
- Glue a triangle of newsprint to the bottom half of the card as the base of your bunch of flowers.
- Create the rose stamp: fold your piece of sponge over several times horizontally. It’s important to end the folding with the end poking out a bit longer than the fold or your rose will print as a flat circle. Roll the folded sponge into a scroll and tie it with an elastic band. This gives you a swirl shape with an indented swirl in between the swirl. If this doesn’t make sense, watch the video.
- Make a second rose stamp to use with a second colour.
- Make the leaf stamp by cutting a small leaf shape from your piece of kitchen sponge.
- Stamp roses around the top half of the cards using two different rose colours. It’s a good idea to test the stamp first on a spare piece of paper until you’re happy with the print it’s making.
- Stamp a few leaves around the outside
- Stamp some little white dots in between and surrounding the roses (these dots are meant to be resemble the flower babies breath).
- Optional: Once the paint has dried, cut a piece of thin construction paper to be slightly smaller than the card base. Glue inside to line the card in a different colour.
Your gorgeous rose card is finished, told you it was easy!
Next week we’ll be sharing some more fun sponge stamping art ideas, so stay tuned.
More handmade card ideas for Mothers and Fathers Day
- Here are 6 different Mothers Day card shape templates that kids can use to make and design their own cards
- Make an easy Minion card for Fathers Day (or any occasion!)
- This marbled heart card was designed originally for Valentines Day but would also make a great Mothers Day card
- Dad will love receiving one of these Fathers Day explosion cards you can make from our printable template
- Make a fun pop up Mothers Day book using our printable template with fill-in-the blanks so kids can personalise it
- This mother and baby koala card is so sweet!