Get ready for a world of creative fun with over 30 puppet crafts for kids!
This collection of ideas includes puppets suitable for preschoolers through to older kids and teens and is sure to inspire hours of imaginative play.
You might also like these DIY toys for kids.
Do you remember making puppets as a kid? If not, you would have to remember watching puppet shows because this classic craft has been around for almost as long as humanity itself.
Why? Because with puppets we tell stories, develop empathy through roleplay, escape through entertainment, and explore ideas and worlds both magical and realistic.
There are lots of different kinds of puppets. They’re easy and fun to make for all ages, adults included, and you can craft them from literally anything. Recyclables, paper, fabric, old socks—anything!
In this round-up of ideas I’ve included puppet crafts from our own archives along with some of the coolest ideas from our blogging friends around the world.
Over 30 puppet crafts for kids
You can’t go past hand puppets as a fun and easy kids craft! Slip them over your hand to make their mouths snap open and closed or to make them move and talk.
- This snapping frog puppet has been made from paper plates
- Here’s a super cute printable paper dog puppet by Easy Peasy and Fun
- Get the tutorial for this Up Carl Paper Bag Puppet over at Mombrite. They also have a Pug Dog version (not pictured)
- Littlies will adore making these handprint butterfly puppets by Kids Craft Room
- I adore this Groundhog paper bag puppet by Simple Everyday Mom
Finger Puppet ideas
Finger puppets are always fun! Here are some easy finger puppets kids can make.
- Love these clever origami bird puppets by Red Ted Art
- Get this set of printable Love Monster pinger puppets here
- Make some super cute pirate finger puppets with this tutorial over at Red Ted Art
- How cool are these printable animal finger puppets by Easy Peasy and Fun?
- Tell the story of Old MacDonald with a set of felt farm finger puppets by Artsy Fartsy Mama
Recycled puppet crafts
Raid your recycling bin and turn rubbish into adorable puppets with these easy ideas:
- These arty bird puppets are one of my favourites! Made from upcycled kids art—a guest post by Shannon from Oh Creative day
- These egg-carton spider puppets are lots of fun!
- Create chomping matchbox monsters
- Use recycled cardboard to create a galloping unicorn and rainbow flip puppet like these, inspired by the by the book My Color is Rainbow
- These paper roll empathy dolls can express a range of emotions and are a great way to help kids learn about big feelings
Printable puppet ideas
Here are some printable templates to make your puppet crafting easier if you need something fast and low-mess.
- Adventure in a Box has the most delightful collection of printable shadow puppets, like this Alice in Wonderland set
- These flying pterodactyl paper puppets are one of our most popular free printables
- Love these printable jellyfish puppets by Picklebums
- Make some adorable flying ladybugs like these two by Arty Crafty Kids
Craft Stick Puppet ideas
Got craft sticks? Turn them into puppets! Here are some easy ideas:
- Buzz Buzz! Make some easy-peasy craft stick bees by adding paint and a little tissue paper
- Use construction paper plus our free printable googly eyes to make cartoon craft stick puppets. Each one has their own, unique personality!
- This monarch butterfly puppet is so pretty! Make it fly. By Fireflies and Mudpies
- It doesn’t get much easier than these chirpy craft stick bird puppets—perfect if you’re looking for a Spring craft idea
- These cute Nutcracker popsicle stick puppets are by
“But Kate”, I hear you say, “when my kids make puppets they don’t turn out like yours”.
It doesn’t matter! To your kids, their own crafts are awesome and they’ll have just as much fun with their puppets (or maybe more) because they have the added satisfaction of having made it themselves.
- We made a full set of ‘royal’ spider puppets from paper rolls and pipe cleaners. This one was made by my kindergartener.
- I don’t know about you, but Mr Broccoli the paper bag puppet is my personal favourite of all the puppets we have listed. By Kelly’s Classroom Online
- How adorable are these dancing leaf finger puppets by Picklebums?
There are so many puppets to be made! Marionettes, hand-sewn puppets, spoon puppets, the possibilities are endless.
- Use pom pom and chunky yarn to make a dancing flamingo marionette
- Here’s a super cute sock puppet by The Parent Spot
- These felt ghost stick puppets are quick and easy to make for Halloween fun
- Our seahorse stick puppets are made from recycled paper rolls
- Turn wooden spoons into superhero puppets. We made Batman, Wonder Woman and Superman
- Here’s a simple but easy hand-sewn bunny puppet by The Jenny Evolution
What are you waiting for? Go on, get puppet-making!
You might also like
- Here are over 20 paper roll craft ideas
- Need craft ideas for tweens? We’ve got you covered
- Turn rocks into DIY toys with these DIY toys made from rocks
- Get ready for water and bathtime fun with these 20 boat crafts for kids