Got an old egg carton? Why not turn it into an egg carton monster treat holder?
This is a fun kids’ craft idea perfect for Halloween. It’s also a recycling craft so you get to use up your trash at the same time—win-win!
This easy Halloween craft was first published in 2013 and has been updated and reshared for today’s audience.
Here are over 50 Halloween crafts for kids
There’s something about repurposing rubbish that makes me happy and these cute little monster treat holders are no exception.
I call this craft a ‘treat holder’ but that’s a bit of a stretch because each monster will only hold one tiny treat (which is a plus for us parents, am I right?).
We made a few of them and then I hid a small treat in each one and hid them around the garden so that the girls could have a monster treasure hunt, which they LOVED. They also make fun Halloween decorations.
How to make egg carton monsters
You will need:
- An egg carton (each 12-pack egg carton will make 6 monsters)
- Acrylic paint
- PVA (school) glue
- Googly eyes — or use our free printable paper eyes for a more eco-friendly version
- Paint brush
- Sweets to place inside (use wrapped sweets or wrap your own)
- Cut the egg carton cups into individual pieces (kids will need some help with this part). You might like to include some teeth, or keep it flat and add a tongue from the flat part of the egg carton. Snip off some pointy bits to use as horns – the sky is the limit, design them however you like.’
- Paint them inside and out and allow to dry
- Glue on horns, googly eyes and anything else you’ve made
- Place sweets inside
Our egg carton monsters are friendly and only eat sweets, not people! Don’t you think they are cute?
More fun Halloween ideas:
• Make a cute egg carton spider puppet on a string
• These halloween suncatchers look so colourful!
• Make a paper pumpkin basket using our free printable template
• Our egg carton black cat costume looks so cute on Miss K!