Make some adorable potato stamp Easter chicks! This is a fun art activity for Easter or Spring crafting and would also make sweet decorations for Easter cards or gift wrap.
You might also like our paper plate chick craft
Potato stamping is a fun art activity for kids of all ages. Even at my age I still find it fun (or is that just me?!).
This time around we’ve turned the potato stamped art into simple Easter chicks with sharpie markers. We’ve also created our own stamp pad by using a kitchen sponge soaked on paint. Put the sponge in a plastic container with a lid on it and use it again later. Alternatively, when you’re finished making chick stamps tie an elastic around the sponge in the middle and use it to create some gorgeous butterfly prints.
How to make potato stamp Easter chicks
You will need:
- A potato or two (ours were on the way out anyway)
- Acrylic paint
- White paper
- A kitchen sponge
- A plastic container large enough to put the sponge in (a recycled rectangular takeaway one is perfect)
- Sharpie markers
- Soak a sponge with water and squeeze it out. Place it in a plastic container and squirt a large blob of paint onto it (the sponge needs to be wet but not dripping wet). Squeeze the colour into the sponge with your hands so it’s completely covered like in our picture – kids would probably enjoy doing that step!
- Cut a potato in half and then cut one of the halves into half again for the wing stamps.
- Stamp with the oval shape for the chick body and then the semicircle shapes for the wings.
- Allow to dry completely before drawing in the details of a beak, eyes and legs using sharpie markers.
See – how simple is that? They’ve got to be the cutest little potato chicks around. You could make them in different colours too.
More chick craft ideas for kids
- This geometric mother hen paper craft has three little baby chicks tucked under her wing
- Create the cutest paper chicks in a little newspaper nest
- Craft sticks make adorable chick puppets with tissue paper wings
- Here is a free printable chick basket we designed for the Etsy Australia blog
- You don’t get much easier than this rock chick craft
- This paper plate chick craft was designed with beginner scissor skills in mind